Agreements and Safe Havens (9)

We get around the corner just in time as the car flips over three times. I sigh in relief and look at Austin with a grin on my face. Austin looks back at me with a smile. 

   "You know if we weren't running away from people try to kill you, then this would have been amazing date," Austin says with a smile. I roll my eyes at him and crawl up into the passenger seat, leaving the gun on the back seat. 

   "That and if I wasn't totally gay." I shrug and lean into the passenger seat. Austin shrugs and looks back at the road. I look behind us one more time to see three cars that look like Adelynn's stop with loud screeches behind the crash. I sigh and look at Austin. 

   "I think I know why they want to kill you," Austin says as if he is the smartest person in the world. I smirk and look at the roads in front of us. 

   "Adelynn's second has always hated me. If I died then he would still be in charge of some things. Adelynn's death would also have benefited him if Adelynn and I hadn't signed the papers of leader change in secret last night. I knew someone was a mole the more Adelynn talked about intercepted drug deals and members showing up dead or missing. I told her to keep it a secret and sign fake papers at the gala tonight. I have them on me actually. I had the ladies put me in a sports corset and tie the papers in it. So, my torso is all signed paper work in a plastic bag." 

   "She knew," Austin says in astonishment. I nod. "That's why she went up when you were supposed to be up on the stage. Why you asked me for one more dance. Said everything would be fine if everyone else had to wait to see the future mafia leader. You both knew something was going to happen." Austin hits the steering wheel. 

   "She knew something would happen because someone had convinced half the mafia leaders not to sign the party truce this evening. We didn't tell anyone because we wanted to act calm. Adelynn came and talked to me while I showered. We talked in whispers as the shower ran behind me. She knew and she wanted to make sure she I stayed alive tonight." Austin hits the steering wheel again. 

  "And you didn't think to tell me?! Either one of you?!" Austin shouts and speeds up slightly after taking another right turn. I look ahead and see lights. 

   "I swore to a vow to protect my mafia no matter the costs, Austin. If that means occasionally keeping things from my second, then so be it. I did what I promised to do tonight and I will continue to ensure your and my safety. You're my second after all." Austin grinds his teeth. 

   "You could have trusted me enough to tell me. I would have understood." I nod and look out the side window. 

   "Adelynn told me to trust no one and to watch my back. Whoever was sharing mafia secrets was close to home and she didn't want anyone getting hurt because one or both of us trusted in case they were who was talking. Turns out Adelynn was right to worry. Her second was the mole the whole time." I grind my teeth together and hold back tears of frustration. Austin looks at me and nods again. 

   "We're going somewhere safe until we can go back to the mansion." Austin says as we get closer to the lights. I nod. 

   "I know where we are Austin. I was here three days ago to sign a deal." I sigh and Austin looks at me in confusion before pulling over and turning in his seat to look at me in disbelief. 

   "How do you know my childhood home?" he whispers. I sigh and look at him. 

   "Your sister and I have... an agreement." 

   "Annabeth made you and offer? And you agreed?" he asks in a tense voice. I roll my eyes before looking at him again. 

   "I made a deal that in the end protected my mafia and the people I care about. I know this wasn't Annabeth because after being instated and having loyalties I was to marry your sister and kill Adelynn." Austin's jaw drops. 

   "You were going to marry my sister and kill the woman that took you away from your abu-," Austin stop and goes pale. I feel my anger kick up. 

   "No, finish that sentence Austin. Finish it. Then tell me how you found out because I know for a fact I never told you about what happened in my life before Adelynn." I tighten my jaw and give Austin a cold look of distaste. 

   "Adelynn told me. Thought we could relate with one another. She thought that if I could get you to trust in me your darkest secrets of what happened then maybe you'd feel comfortable marrying me. This was back when your parents were still alive and Adelynn couldn't stand the thought of your father getting his hands back on you. I agreed and here we are." 

   "So you were only my friend because you wanted to marry me and use me as your mafia wife. What did you expect? I'd have your kids and be a quiet and obedient wife? While being forced to pretend I don't long for actual love? Or hating the way you used my emotions and trust for your own marriage ploy with this sick family of Adelynn's mafia. Here I thought you actually cared for me-" 

   "I do care for you," Austin says quickly and winces. I glare at him. 

   "Adelynn's mafia is disgusting and I want no part. It is my mafia now and those who don't fall in line behind me will die. I refuse to hold the same morals and expectations she did. Your sister and I are to be married the day after I turn 18. I will then conjoin our mafias and she will run everything while I go to college and live my dream instead of feeling the weight of responsibility that comes with being a mafia leader. You will be safe and I can live life normally. That's all that I've wanted." Austin looks at me and nods before putting the car in drive and pulling into the driveway to his childhood home and the security doors closing behind us. 

   "You're not the person I thought you were," Austin whispers and exists the vehicle. I sigh and watch him walk up to the door. 

   "Me either," I whisper and hit my head against the head rest.