Chapter 3

(Dan's POV)

My jaw drops in awe.

Wait... This is a guy! This isn't Princess Lester, it can't be!

"Um.. Do you- do you mind telling me your uh name?" I stutter quietly to the very attractive man next to me.

"Oh yeah I'm Phil. Phil Lester."

"Do you know Princess Lester?"

"She's my sister!"

Oh god. I am expected to marry his sister. Why can't I be expected to marry him? It'd be a lot easier..

He moved downward a bit and looked at my face. "Are- are you Prince Howell?!"

I nod my head and he beams at me. "You're so much more attractive than what my sister said! Its an honor to meet you! Oh I'm so nervous now!!" He laughs a little and I can see him blushing.

He called me attractive.

I giggle and look up at him. "Thank you. Its an honor to meet you as well. Did your sister say anything about me?" That sounded self-centered.. Oops.

"Oh um, yes. She said you seemed boring, but you were cute. She did say she- oh never mind I probably shouldn't tell you."

"No no, I won't tell anyone."

He shakes his head but then looks at me again, and starts to speak up. "She did say she didn't want to marry you though.."

My heart sinks. I didn't want to marry her either, but now I feel horrible. Am I unattractive? I am boring, but what did I do? I was polite and kind and said she looked pretty, and I even kissed her hand. What did I do wrong?

"Oh... That's alright.."

He seems to be sorry he said anything. "I'm sorry. She hasn't liked anyone. She'll find someone though, I'm sure. Just as you will as well. A nice, beautiful girl-"

I cough and almost correct him, but stop myself. I don't want to find a nice, beautiful girl. I want to find a nice, beautiful GUY.

"What?"

"Nothing. Sorry."

"You seem really nice, um, Prince Howell.."

"Please call me Dan." I smile.

"O-okay, Dan. Maybe we can hang out sometime? You seem like a great person to be friends with."

"Yeah! Yeah okay!" I say way too enthusiastically. "I mean, yeah, it sounds fun."

He laughs and casually places his hand on my knee. I feel my face turn a deep red and look down, hiding it from Phil.

"I should get going, but- here is my number. One moment." He takes out a pen and grabs my hand. My face gets even warmer, and this time I look at him, to see his cheeks are a light pink. He scribbles his phone number on the back of my hand, and stands up.

"Well, I'm hoping we can hang out soon! Bye!" And he skips away.

I hide my face in my hands and feel a huge smile spread across my face. I let out a little laugh, and look at the number on my hand.

I have his number. He touched my knee. He practically held my hand.

Calm down. He said friends.

I stand up and start walking home, my hands halfway in my pockets. I replay the whole scenario in my mind thousands of times before I finally reach my door.

I turn the door knob, and open it as soon as these few words utter from my mothers mouth, in a cracked scream.

"I don't love you anymore."