Chapter 4

"I don't love you anymore."

I open the door completely to see my mum burying her head in her hands. My dad just looks at her with disgust and replies, "Good. I don't love you either."

My dad heads towards the door and pushes me out of the way. I step inside and he slams the door behind him.

I run to my mum and sit beside her, listening to her quiet sobs.

"Mum.. Are you okay?" She looks at me, and I see her right eye is purple and puffy, and there's a cut on her cheek, surrounded by red and blood. "What did he do??!"

She pulls me into a tight hug. "Daniel... Don't worry about me... Just-" She pulls out of the hug, and places her hands on my shoulders. "Don't marry someone you aren't sure about marrying."

I want to scream at her, for forcing me to marry Princess Lester, but I don't. She's sobbing and she's beaten, and she doesn't deserve any more hurt.

"We- your father and I are getting a divorce. A-and you're going to live w-with me." She stutters. "Go to your room, Daniel. Don't worry about this."

I head up to my room, and fall onto the ground as soon as I enter. Terrible thoughts run through my mind, and I start to blame myself for everything.

You're useless, Dan. Look what you've done. You being you has torn your parents apart! You heard them arguing. Your dad knew something was wrong. You didn't tell them though. You had to lie. Good job, they've finally decided. Your parents hate you.

I curl up in a ball and feel tears starting to fall from my eyes. These thoughts continue spinning through my head, and I pick up my phone. With no one else to call, I click on Phil's contact and call him.

"Hello?"

"Its Dan."

"Oh hi! Why'd you call?"

"My-" I let out a quiet sob. "My parents are divorcing. A-and it's m-my fault."

"Why is it your fault?"

"B-because!"  I let out a few sobs, not being able to hold them back.

"Are you crying?"

"Yeah.."

"Hey. It's okay. It isn't your fault, it's theirs. Its for the best."

"B-but I'm such a failure a-and they know-"

"You are not a failure." He says in a stern voice. "You did nothing wrong. You're okay. Everything is okay."

"No! Nothing is okay!"

"Dan. Are you depressed? Is that what's wrong? You are okay."

"He beat her Phil! And-"

"Noooo.. It isn't your fault! That's horrible, and I'm sure they will sort it out with the police. You're okay.. And- hey, would you mind hanging out tomorrow? Maybe talking in person will be better."

"O-okay..."

"Okay. How about we'll meet up at the park again, and then go get lunch?"

I feel my cheeks get hotter, and my tears slow. "Yeah.. Okay.."

"Okay. Don't do anything you'll regret, I look forward to seeing you tomorrow. Bye!"

"Bye.." And he hangs up.

I wipe the tears from my face and try to forget, and focus on Phil. We are seeing each other tomorrow. Maybe he cares about me. Maybe he likes me. No, no, no one likes you, Dan. Only the public, and that's for being royal. Other than that, you're useless.