Our Normal

Xie Yun and Xie Liying have always been the most amusing sibling pair the villagers of Ji kingdom has ever seen.
They were a playful and adoring pair, who lived somewhere in the forest as far as anyone knew but spent most of their time in Li Manor or the village.

Twice a month, they would return to the forest and remain gone depending upon their mood.
Sometimes when they came, the brother sister duo would bring herbs, firewood,wild fruits or flowers to sell in the market.
The siblings sold their stock in the morning when it was fresh and the prices of most necessary goods were cheap.
This part of the kingdom had always been a bit away from the main city and the villagers depended on the Li Manor when hard times dangled problems above their heads.
It was the daily routine for the sibling pair. They put their stall near the main pedestal which had once been dusty because of the war that prevailed for years 10 years back.
But now it was decorated beautifully by Xie Yun's expert craftsmanship and genius mind.
He had decorated the outer area with mosses and evergreen shrubs, leaving a hollow ring after that which was sown with mustard in spring. In the inner part there were wooden and rock made lotuses and water lily which had some sort of mechanism in them, used to shelter the pedestal during the monsoon.
When moved right, the wooden and delicate parts of the pedestal would sink underground, protecting them from he harsh winds and storms. While the main inner part was engulfed in a giant lotus.
The central part changed with the season, as it had seasonal flowers growing there with a half crestened moon on a dial in between.
But only a few knew about this, the mechanism was for their safety and not fun.
It was a daily routine for the villagers to see the adorable siblings bicker ocassionally and buy their products, sometimes they even helped the elders in setting up stalls or drawing water.
" Ah!Jiang shushu, let me help you..." Xie Yun said as he spotted the 70 year old man trying to put the roof of his stall up but the stubborn wood wouldn't budge. " A-Yun..you didn't have to, this old man here is quite capable of doing such things on his own! " The elder smiled but the other wasn't put off that easily. " I see Jiang shuhu. But you need to allow this young one to train or else A Ying would have to work all day because I will become lazy with no work to do!" Xie Yun smiled widely and bowed dramatically. He knew that the elder was thankful for the help but it wa his pride and his own son due to which he insisted in doing the work himself. But no one could resist Xie Yun, never had and would never be able to.
After helping Jiang shuhu, Xie Yun turned to go towards his place where he had left his sister earlier to set up their sale for today. They had gotten lucky and caught some fish too along with the herbs they usually collect for selling in the market. The village was known for its medicinal knowledge and one of the oldest physician was a part of the imperial court who watched out for the royal family itself.
Xie Yun himself knew much about medicine and had learned some more from an elder physician in return of saving his family once.
"Ge! Here. Where did you go ?" Xie Liying asked. She knew her elder brother was a dreamy and thoughtful person who will get lost in his thought probably anywhere and at anytime. Dangerous, she knows and tells that to Xie Yun always.
" A Ying! What ? You still can't set up the things for sale ? When will you learn ?" Xie Yun who was brought out of his trance by his dear sister asked or more like scolded. The pair once again bickered for a while about why it was necessary for Liying to learn to set up the things and other things necessary in life while Liying insisted that she will learn when the time came. Right now, she was busy learning and practicing her calligraphy.
At this Xie Yunpulled her ears," You young lady, are not a noble girl who is going to lounge in her chair and give orders to others. Better learn some life skills and practice martial arts. Understand?" "Ah...ah...ge! It hurts you know! Yes, I understood! Now leave my ears, will you. People are staring!"
Xie Yun spared a glance around and indeed some were looking their way, but all of them just had amusement in their eyes. The children giggled while the elderly shook their heads and moved on. " You better." Saying so he released her while he himself started arranging the items. The day went on like any other, they sold their goods and bought necessities, helped the needy, elders and played with some children. Xie Liying practiced her blade forms with Li Yan and Li Sheng and then sneaked away to see Chuchu while Xie Yun was busy helping some kids who had come to the Li Manor for their daily class of Beginners martial arts.
Xie Yun watched her sister, taught the kids some basic posture and position theory and then gave some comments to Li Sheng as he was moping practicing after losing to Xie Liying, just to irk him up. He knew his sister the best and was confident that she will defeat Li Sheng anytime. What he didn't notice all the while was that his dear sister was watching him throughout the day, thinking over his words.
You young lady, are not a noble girl who is going to lounge in her chair and give orders to others.
What do you mean ge? I know what we are. Why are you always like this?  Why do you always tell me to practice martial arts? Why is it always me and never you ?

First written :11 February, 2021