The Decision: Flight

Running and jumping on the roofs, Liying followed the faint sound of footsteps heading in one direction.
She could tell that they were in a large number, probably larger than the group back there.

This was not at all ideal, given that her brother didn't fight and even if Xie Yun had fought the mysterious man earlier at the Inn, the people they were facing now were probably skilled fighters. Which, Liying knows will kill them if they don't escape soon.

Moments later, she saw Xie Yun round a corner and come to a dead end; the wall high enough that Liying couldn't imagine anyone climbing it. The guards stopped, seemingly having come to the same conclusion.

It was time for a deal.

Xie Yun looked up at the wall and then turned towards the guards or rather soldiers as they had badges hanging from their belts. The wall was high, too high in fact and for a moment he cursed himself for rounding the corner. But going the other way would have meant entering the settlement area where people of all ages would be bustling about and the result would be a bloodbath.

So, this dead end was the only option.

The soldiers had their spears and swords pointed towards him while the archers stood at the back. When none of them made a move to come forward and capture him, he understood that they were waiting.

The leader has yet to come. Coward.

Just as Xie Yun thought, a man dressed in royal robes and a authoritative aura strode towards him in graceful and powerful steps, the soldiers parting to make way. Xie Yun caught his breath, trying to regain his bearings.

If it came down to a fight, he will have to save as much energy he could.
He didn't think he had stand a chance against these burly men. His train of thoughts was broken when the leader said, " So you are the one, huh ?"

Xie Yun really didn't understand what the hell the man was talking about and the one but he chose to remain silent.

" Worst choice, but let's see...what's your name ?" The man spoke as if the conversation was about today's weather and not of life and death. Still, the way his eyes roamed his body from head to toe, Xie Yun resisted the urge to fidget.

Giving his name was surely out of choice.

" I am Zhu Yun, a traveller. " He bowed, trying to keep his body alert in case the man tried something. He needed to engage the man till the others escaped.

" A traveller with such skills ? A subject truly worthy of appreciation! But."
The man came closer, his eyes scanning Xie Yun critically, assessing him.
Xie Yun took a step back.

Okay, maybe think before engaging.

" One can learn much while travelling. "
He quipped back, eyes narrowing as the man brought both his hands behind his back.

Xie Yun sensed danger. The man could signal to the others and he won't even know it. A clever move but it was high time he got out of here.

" Hm..But I heard that you came here with a group ? Most of which consists of raw fighters! Young lad, think before you speak. I have seen thousands like you. "

Saying this, the man shifted, but before either of them could say or do anything else, two things happened at once.

First, Xie Yun saw the man's hand move and prepared to jump and second he saw Liying. As the conversation progressed, Liying had kept an eye on them sensing her brother's distress as that burly man got closer but as he signaled something to his soldiers, she saw how one of them already had an arrow pointed towards Xie Yun. She jumped at the exact time the man lifted his bow, landing near him and delivering a blow to his head. The arrow flew from the bow, landing on the wall above Xie Yun's left.