Chapter 2 - Wolf in a China Shop

In the forest regions of Japan, Alecia was surrounded by her own Oni. There were seven Oni in total, but Alecia glared without so much as a flinch.
   "Oni," she began. "To find our next general, and to test my ever-growing powers, your task is to defeat me. Begin!"
   The Oni charged in against Alecia, but Alecia threw off her fur coat and defended herself with her own two hands. One Oni was sent flying to the left after an opened palm strike, and another to the right with the same attack. To incapacitate the other five, Alecia performed a backflip kick, but she was far from done. A light grey aura appeared around her, and with a hand motion, Alecia unleased an avatar of the Snow Leopard Totem, the very same as her host, Tamera. As the totem avatar faded, the coat she threw landed on the ground while she chuckled. Kaa came from behind a nearby tree and returned Alecia's coat to his master.
   "Your strength grows more powerful by the day, master," Kaa hissed.
   "Find stronger Oni, Kaa," Alecia ordered as she strode away.
   "And that power may consume you," Kaa said softly that Alecia would not hear. "Hmmmm...Perhaps a more powerful general would please her..."
   Immediately, Kaa slithered his way back to the temple and made his way to a room of scrolls. Kaa pulled through several scrolls, about the war Alecia had started centuries ago, and was looking for one particular totem. Several minutes later, Kaa grinned as he had found the right totem he was looking for. Before setting out on his journey, Kaa ordered a small force of Oni to accompany him.
   "Master will be most pleased with this," Kass hissed in a chuckle.

o

   Chell began to get everything ready for the rangers to sit in her dojo. Five seats, for five people, all that needed to be done was a double check on what she wanted to show and explain. Just as she was giving her presentation a once over, Alex and the other rangers came in.
   "Hey guys," Chell said. "Have a seat, I'll be ready in a second."
   "Thanks, Chell," Alex said as he took a seat.
   Rachel sat to one side of Alex with Daric right next to her. Richard sat to the other side of Alex, with Faith next to him. A minute later, Chell was finally ready to explain the ins and outs of the ranger's capabilities.
   "Okay," Chell said as she got a projector working. "Welcome to my talk about your powers."
The rangers chuckled at Chell's little joke before she showed what seemed to be a dark corridor with flashing green fluorescent lights. Each ranger was amazed at the sight and knew now, to give Chell her full attention.
   "So," Chell said. "This bad boy is called the Morphin Grid. It's where all your totems take on a tangible physical form, and how you can morph. Now, I didn't make this, in fact, the origin of the grid is a mystery. I just happened to have some connections who helped me. In combat, the grid gives you near superhuman abilities, except flight and...any kind of vision powers. But on the plus side, in ranger form, the grid itself will take a hit for you, the same goes for the Megazord. Bear in mind, that there is a limit to how much punishment the megazord can take. So, don't just let the enemy hit you. That said...Who's got questions?"

   Daric was the first to raise his hand, albeit, a bit nervously.
   "I noticed the way we morphed," Daric began. "We had to say, a special phrase to do it, and...Why do we have to do that? I mean it makes sense in a TV show but..."
   "Ah, I thought someone would bring that up," Chell smiled. "You know the comic and old-school sci-fi movie trope where someone needs their voice to access anything? Well, it's kind of the same thing. The phrase you say to morph is like a password, that can only pick up your voice to do it."
   "Oh...That's pretty cool," Daric said.
   Alex was the next one to raise his hand.
   "Who was your connection that told you about the grid," Alex asked. "That's something that's been bugging me since you told us."
   "Oh..." Chell responded. "Let's just say...some things are best left unsaid."
   "Hey as long as we can take down Alecia, who really cares," Richard said as he made his way over to a heavy bag and began to train with it.