3. A Little Bit Further

It is getting dark already, the visitor thought, it will be frosty soon. I wasted a lot of time. She turned to the escort, who was standing next to the door with a slight expression of astonishment. Muttering and rubbing her fingers, thinking again it was too late, she pulled the sleeve of the man's arm.

"I need those medicines more than you can think," she murmured with a blank face. The man turned and frowned at her, not understanding what the girl was saying. This time she clung to the man's collar and leaned him slightly towards herself, "Those pills..." she said, pressing on every word, "I need them more than you can think. Tell me what to do." there was a strange glint in her eyes.

The escort shuddered when he looked at this determined little face. As if he was not looking at a person but at that person's distorted reflection in a carnival mirror. There was something shuddery, eery, missing on the girl's face; but, there was something fresh, primitive, and pure nonetheless. The strange visitor was demanding rather than begging or pleading. This girl is no joke, the man thought. I'm no joke, the girl thought while not letting go of his collar.

"Even if it's like that..." began the man as he slowly freed himself from the girl's hand, "I can't do anything."

"You do look like someone who can do a lot, but you speak with a weak man's voice. Are those words really belong to you, or is there someone pathetic hiding behind you, Adam," said the visitor for the first time using the escort's name, keeping her eyes on him.

"Look, young lady -"

"Oh, come on," said the girl, "Useless dick."

"Young lady, there are rules here; there is an order. I just can't act as I want. If you want to join the camp, well, maybe I can give some favour to you, but that's all—just that. I can say that you are diligent and will contribute. You could along well with the nurse, right? Maybe you help her or work alongside expeditions."

The girl raised her eyebrows and giggled hysterically, "I can't do that, I can't do this... What is that attitude for? Like, are you guys all fucked up? The news is flying like swallows outside," she stopped and whispered while grinning widely, "People are talking outside... Do you know? If you give a piece of food to a walker, you can hear from the world. The last crumbs of civilization. Halleluiah fucker."

"I'm sincerely sorry for your dying friend," said escort. His thin lips had become a tighter line the moment he heard about the flying news part. "If you want to join the camp-"

"Oh, come on."

"Then I'll show you way out."

"Bloody me," said the visitor. After putting her hoodie on her head, she began to rub her fingers, then looked up again as if something had come to mind and stared at the back of the man walking two steps ahead.

"At least..." she began with a small, shaky voice, "At least if I spent the night here... It's dark outside. Scavengers must be everywhere now. I curl up somewhere, and I don't make any trouble. I will be good."

"Something like that..." said the escort, pausing slowly, "Well, I don't think-"

"Please," she clung to the man's arm this time and shook it, "A few hours, until dawn. They will cut my throat to take that torn coat I am wearing; no soul hears. I came from a far away. I have no other place to go. Until dawn. A few hours. A little bit. I am sorry for my behaviour; I was devastated. I am sorry, please have me here for the night."

"I have no authority over such a thing," repeated the escort, licking his lips. The part of his face that not burned looked quite troubled.

"They'll kill me."