1.

Medicine

Medicine.

How to explain being a doctor without sounding an egotistical, pompous asshole?

It had been in my dreams even way before the accident that changed my life. I always knew what I wanted. I always knew what my future painted. Or so I thought. I was a spoiled brat who everything she wanted, she had it.

Not anymore. My aunt Patricia? She taught me humility. My nurse aunt told me not everything was given to me in a silver plate because I just snapped my fingers. Had it not been for her, I would have never even rolled into the career of my dreams. I would have given up at the first obstacle.

And that obstacle came at 12.

The day my hearing began fading. The day the real struggle began. It was one of the rarest cases of lost hearing. In less than a year, my hearing got worse to the point I was gotten to surgery and put on a cochlear implant and years of intensive speech therapy and lipreading to get to the point where I was now.

My family were perfect freaks. Everything had to be perfect for them and so, medicine wasn't a given choice for me. But, medicine helped me to hear, made me normal again (to my parents terms that's it. Because of them, thanks to their obsession of being perfect, not everyone knew or noticed I was deaf).

Because of what medicine did for me, getting to med school with countless of help from interpreters, speech language and auditory pathologists helping me talk like a normal person I was able to go through med school with flying colors and get into the surgical program in one of the best teaching hospitals in all Seattle.

I was a nervous wreck. Med school was difficult enough with my condition but the school provided enough assistance whenever I needed it. Will Seattle Grace General do the same?

Could they work with a deaf doctor? Specifically an intern? A nobody.

At least, my family's obsession of not being quitters made me realize that I can do this. The word 'can't' isn't included in my vocabulary.