Through A Glass Darkly

Cameron POV

Nash Grier, the youngest U.S. Senator in history. That's who I am going to intern for. He has this horrible reputation for being demanding of his employees and not tolerating incompetence or mistakes. But I burned to work for him, to work with him.

Even if we never talk, I would still be ecstatic to work with him. I'm fresh out of grad school, I need to network and make a name for myself in this city if I ever want to get anywhere.

That's why I want to intern for him, he's powerful and he comes from a powerful family. He has sway in the Senate, when he sponsors a bill it gets passed. He's charismatic, his electric blue eyes draw even the hardest of hearts in, his smile can make any one weak in the knee.

I need to get myself noticed by him, and I know what I need to do is learn exactly how he likes things, exactly how he would do it if he did it himself. I know his personality type, everything needs to be perfect or else you're packing up your desk and getting the fuck out.

I look at myself in the mirror, it's the morning of my first day as an intern in his office. I make sure my suit is on point, with no wrinkles and my tie is perfectly tied. I can't deny that I'm attracted to Nash but he's married to a beautiful girl named Lea, apparently she was his high school sweetheart and they were a match made in heaven.

But that doesn't stop me from dreaming or fantasizing. I glance at my watch, I have to leave in the next 5 minutes to make it 30 minutes early.

For me, if I'm early then I'm on time, if I'm on time then I'm late. It's a motto that hasn't failed me yet, people notice if you go the extra mile, if you do what you're supposed to no one cares.

I leave my apartment while my roommates are still getting ready. They're all interns as well, some of them for Nash too. I didn't notice anyone that can give me competition, they're not as driven or as dedicated as I am. I'm not cocky, I'm just realistic. I can admit when there's someone better than me, they definitely are not.

I arrive at the offices and I stop at Human Resources to introduce myself and thank them for the opportunity. Usually no one gives a shit about HR unless something is wrong, I like to establish a relationship with them so it's easier to get things done later on.

I arrive at Nash's office and his assistant is there already getting set up for the day.

"Hello, I'm Cameron Dallas, one of Senator Grier's new interns," I give her a friendly smile. She raises her eyebrow at me and a judgmental look crosses her face as she studies me.

What a bitch. I won't regret taking her job when my internship is over. She doesn't even introduce herself, she acts like she's the one who's the fucking Senator. Bitch.

I study the coffee she has sitting on her desk and I memorize what's written on the side. I have a feeling it's his coffee because it's untouched.

I take a seat in one of the many chairs in the room, I still have like 15 minutes before everyone else arrives.

Nash walks in 5 minutes later and he walks right by me, he didn't even see me. She hands him his coffee and he barely acknowledges her before he enters his office and shuts the door behind him.

I smirk because he treats her the same way she treated me, she's no better than I am. I resolve to find out every aspect of Nash's life, how he likes everything to be done. I want his attention, I want it because I'm infatuated with him and because he doesn't give it to just anyone. If you have his attention it's because in his kind you matter, you're worth listening to.

The other interns start to trickle in, some of them look surprised to see me there already, they get looks of insecurity as they probably wonder if they should have done the same.