16. Ballad Of Ibn Zuhr

Lord Ishrafil asked, "Did he look exactly like me?"

"Yes, he also sounded like you. He had the same height and structure as you do," I said.

"Oh! This is bad news, I know who it is and why this is happening. This is as bad as it gets," he said.

"Let's go catch them first, they couldn't have gone far," Omar said.

"Ethereal gates Omar," Mary said.

"Yup. Sorry," Omar realized.

"There is no time to explain all of this. This was much before your time. You people will have to fix our mistakes. I will share a memory of mine with all on you so that you'd be abreast with the situation," Lord Ishrafil said.

He looked at one of the people guarding the gates and the person came running towards Lord Ishrafil. Lord Ishrafil placed his palm gently on the guards forehead and it began to glow. The guard's shoulders slumped and his head shook for a second before the light subsided and he opened his eyes and closed his mouth.

"Share this memory with everyone D," old man Ishrafil said.

D spoke, "Everyone close your eyes."

We closed our eyes. Images began streaming into our mind at a speed that we could not comprehend any meaning of the images. Slowly the sights, sounds, sensations began to trickle into a meaningful sequence of memories and this is what we all remembered.

****

Over 600years ago one of the strongest Guardians was a woman named Parizaad. She had the ability to make anyone fall asleep. He opponents were reduced to defeat in mere seconds and casting even the slightest glance at her would activate her powers if she so desired.

We managed to beat the black death, saved the world from the plague. Humanity prospered in Europe as the princely states began to crumble. Asia remained the mystical land of unthinkable riches. Under her leadership, the world had been affected by the influence of Guardians in a way that it had never been before. But there was still much to do. The watchers, although defeated, were not destroyed.

Parizaad was found living in a remote hamlet, mourning the loss of her loved one, a sailor named Ibn Zuhr, who left her behind to chase his passion for the sea. In her free time, Parizaad would use an ethereal gate to transit to what remained of her old town after the great storm had ravaged it. She'd look over to the ocean as it ebbed and flowed, feeling small and insignificant against the might of the great beyond, the deep abyss, the unforgiving ocean. It was in these moments of vulnerability that she cursed herself encouraging Ibn Zuhr to follow his dreams. She did not want to be the one who crushes her lovers dreams. Alas, this meant she would lose Ibn Zuhr to the seas of fate. And this is his story.

In a land far away, though not too long ago.
There was a cozy hamlet, set upon a plateau.
There they had big market place,
With shops that stocked velour and lace.