17. Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

A month later, when she had finally gained some courage, Parizaad left from Alkapuri to find Ibn Zuhr again

A month later, when she had finally gained some courage, Parizaad left from Alkapuri to find Ibn Zuhr again. She made up her mind to bring him back to the city of Guardians to heal his mind with the help of Lord Ishrafil.

But what met her eyes was something she'd never expect. Someone she'd never expect. It was him. Ibn Zuhr.

But not the mere shell of him that she had left behind but so much more. It was her Ibn Zuhr. Back to the way he used to be. A young strapping lad with wits sharp enough to cut right through you.

He stood there at their old spot, waiting for her. When he saw her, he smiled. The same smile that used to make her blush when she was younger, still had the same effect. She was drawn to him immediately and ran to see him. Not a moment could be wasted. Fate had been cruel with her far too many times. A second late and the tides or the winds would take him away from her.

She ran to him with the urgency of a raindrop that craves the dry earth. Fearful of losing another second with him. But no. This time fate did not play it's twisted games. It was him. Her Ibn Zuhr, in her arms. The same feeling of his soft skin hiding his brawn. The same sounds of his calm and slow breath. The same scent of bakhoor masking his musk. And the same sensation of her feet floating in the air as he lifts her in his embrace.

She felt complete, in a way she had not felt for such a long time. For the next few months the leader of the Guardians ceased to exist, she was only Parizaad and he was Ibn Zuhr. A maiden and her merchant. They spent the time rebuilding their old home and the marketplace. When the old townsfolk passed by the ruins and saw them working to fix it. They were overwhelmed with nostalgia and soon the entire town was rallying to fix their old home. Within a year, the town was restored to its former glory while the two lovers who started it all had rebuild a life that they could live together.

Parizaad snuck away one night to inform the archangels of her resignation but they told her that she, along with anyone from her family was welcome here. It was that night when she told Ibn Zuhr about her work with the Guardians and it took him a while but he came to terms with it soon. This fantastical world where people travelled great distances by taking a step and each person had a unique ability was a little difficult to believe, but he knew that Ibn Zuhr could trust his Parizaad, no matter what.

Years passed and a storm was brewing in the seas that once destroyed their home. The sky obscured with darkness and the clouds roared in rage. The people who had returned to the town saw this as an omen. Perhaps, the ones above didn't want them to be there. With every flash of lightening and crack of thunder their anxiety rose.

Meanwhile, in the Zuhr household, they were anxious for another reason. Parizaad lay sprawled across the floor with a doula sitting at her feet. She was as pregnant as the pause that held Ibn Zuhr' tongue. He looked through the window, as his wife screamed in pain. The storm didn't bother them at all. They had been through the worse already. So long as both are together, no storm could defeat them.