Prologue

Prologue (150 years ago)

The old king's head snapped up as the double doors at the end of his hall thudded open. A dark figure strode through them.

"Father," it boomed. "We have come to claim our rightful sovereignty." As he spoke, the torches along the wall guttered and some went out.

The king stood up shakily. " Tefrael?" he asked, peering at the dark figure. "You are no son of mine. You have no business here and no right to the crown," he said, raising a trembling hand. "You were banished, stripped of all rank and privilege."

The figure laughed harshly, the sound like grinding daggers on a stone wall. "You may take us out of the nobility, but you can't take the nobility out of us. Enough. I did not come here to talk with an old man. I came to kill a king."

The dark figure raised a hand. A beam of darkness flew out and struck the man in the chest, who sat back, gasping, onto the throne. But not for long. The king flew up into the air, where he hung, quivering.

Suddenly mouthing words, the king tapped a tattoo on his arm. A ray of light flew from his palm with a noise like a thunderclap.

The figure laughed again, and with a slight sweeping motion, the light deflected onto a nearby wall, where it made a large hole.

It walked deliberately over to the defeated old man.

The king lifted his head and spat in the thing's face, which recoiled. "You shall never have the throne, Tefrael."

The figure hissed with rage. It grabbed the man's collar and, holding him up, walked out of the hole into the open air. The dark figure remained standing in the middle of the air. Even in the daylight, shadows pooled around the dark figure.

"Hear me now, subjects," the figure said, his voice magnified. "The old King has fallen. I am your new master. YOU SERVE THE DARK KING."

So here is the prologue. Pretty exciting? Magic, a new tyrant. If there's any mistakes, please comment them so I can fix them. Please vote if you liked it. Any feedback is awesome.