Chapter 20

Three weeks later, Dirk stood nervously at a door in the palace, holding a bouquet of flowers. They had been given a day off before tomorrow, when they would be marching off to war.

Brooke had soon replied to his letter with one of her own. The oft folded note was now in his shirt pocket. It read:

Dirk,

I see that you have been keeping up your study of the written word. Thank your for writing me! I would be delighted to have dinner with you on the seventeenth. My room number at the palace is floor three, room nine. Please pick me up around seven! 

                                                                                                                Brooke

PS: On an unrelated note, I was assigned as one of the secretaries to General Grey! I am so happy.

When Dirk received the note, he immediately began to make plans by saving his weekly wages.

The day before, he had taken a bath, so he would smell good. He had had no idea what to wear. Thankfully, the choice was taken from him. The only clothes he now owned were his uniform and the clothes he wore to recruitment. The latter were too travel-stained, he thought, for such an occasion.

On his way to pick up Brooke, he had noticed a small cart selling flowers. He decided to make a detour, hence the fragrant bouquet in his hands. 

Alright, Dirk, he thought, you can do this.

Gathering his courage, he reached out and knocked.

The door was soon opened by Brooke.

"Hi, Dirk."

"Hey Brooke. I brought you some flowers."

Oh," she said. "They're beautiful. Let me just stick them in some water."

Turning back around, she eased back into her apartment.

Dirk waited awkwardly outside.

But in a few seconds, she was back. "Shall we?," she asked happily. 

Dirk offered his arm and they set off down the hallway.

"So where are we going?," asked Brooke as they walked.

"Oh, right," Dirk said. "I found this really delicious place down by the East Gate."

Dirk had been searching for a place to take Brooke since he got the letter. He thought this place would live up to his expectations. It was small compared to many others, but the food was incredible. Besides that, it had a romantic, cozy atmosphere, which Dirk hoped would let him get to the next level with Dirk.

As they wove through the crowd of people, Dirk glimpsed a speck on Brooke's cheek. 

Heart pounding, he reached out and brushed it away. Brooke looked at him. "What?"

"Sorry, you had a bit of something right there," Dirk apologized.

"Oh." They stared at each other for a few more moments, and Dirk felt his cheeks grow red. Slowly, he moved in.

She turned away. "So, how do you like the army, Dirk?," she asked, looking down.

Dirk moved back again, hiding his disappointment. "It's different," he admitted. "i didn't like it at first. In fact, i still don't. Bit I've gotten used to it, I guess."

"Meet anyone interesting?"

"As a matter of fact, I did. I met this awesome group of people. Gibur, Hom, Albert, Cordan, and..." He trailed off.