Chapter 11

The next morning, Dirk woke early and walked to the dining hall. He was finally getting the knack of finding his way through the many corridors of the the castle.

When he arrived there he got in line for the buffet style breakfast they served up for those who wanted to get up and go to breakfast instead of having a generic breakfast of little variety delivered to their rooms. He grabbed a wooden plate piled high with toast slathered in butter and jam, eggs, some type of breakfast meat, a muffin and eggs.

He sat down and immediately started in on the pile of food. He had had too much on his mind lat night to really appreciate the dinner and he done little more than pick at it. 

But this morning everything seemed so much brighter. Plus, he was really hungry now.

He jumped when a man slid into the seat across from him, then relaxed when he saw Aderyn, with a plate of food much smaller than his.

His eyes widened slightly when he saw Dirk's platter. "A lot of food, there, my friend. Didn't you get the dinner I sent you?"

"Yeah, but I wasn't really hungry."

"Well that seems to have been changed quickly." He grinned but then he lowered his voice and took on a more serious tone." Are you alright? You didn't look so good when you left the meeting early."

Dirk sighed. "I'm fine now. Just kinda freaked me out. I should have seen this coming when Cynric started training me. Also, it really bothered me how Lord Gilthas treated Derrum. I mean, the man's horrible, but Gilthas threatened his son. He brought family into politics."

Aderyn leaned forward. "Derrum is a horrible person and politician. He's in it for the prestige and money, not for the people. I completely support Gilthas' decision. It's the only way to get through to people like him."

Dirk was stunned by the venom in his voice and fell silent.

After a while Aderyn said, " So, I know your lesson isn't until later but do you want to start early?"

"Sure." Dirk got up and followed Aderyn out of the dining hall.

They went to a small courtyard, with a slight detour to Dirk's room to retrieve his weapons.

"Always keep your blade on you," Aderyn had admonished as they walked there. "Even with no particular enemies, it is still a good idea to have a weapon handy, especially now that you will be in the army."

When they arrived at the courtyard, they drew their weapons and took up positions opposite each other.

"En Guarde," said Aderyn.

Dirk circled him warily. He knew he was not even close to the level of skill required to beat Aderyn, but perhaps, with unorthodox methods, he could score a single hit.

He drew close to Aderyn and tested his defense. The air thrummed as Aderyn's blade easily knocked his aside and continued toward him. With the greater leverage of his dirk, Dirk blocked it and held it there.

Dirk withdrew quickly, gritting his teeth. He had not expected Aderyn to attack so quickly. Usually he blocked his hits until Dirk withdrew, then came on after him.

Aderyn followed him and his sword flashed in the sun. Blocking the overhead blow, Dirk again withdrew, marking how Aderyn primarily focused on the dirk.

He's never fought some one with a dirk before, he realized. A dirk was an unusual weapon. It was halfay in between a dagger and sword. It could block, be thrown, slash more than a dagger.

Dirk decided his shorter blade could serve as a momentary distraction, but only a moment; Aderyn was too skilled.

But not yet. Dirk engaged Aderyn and found himself easily put on the defensive within a few blows. The dirk had helped his defense, but not so much that it presented a problem for Aderyn. Within ten more parries and ripostes, it was over.