Chapter 4

The next day, they rode at the same speed, but were able to stop for lunch. Dirk used the opportunity to question his two companions about their destination.

"So where exactly are we going?"

Surd looked at him. "Have you ever heard of Redvale?"

Dirk shook his head.

"I thought not. You do know of the Royal Strife?

"Of course," said Dirk, taking a bite of an apple.

"House Vaubin was one of the houses which fought in it. Redvale was a fallback position they had prepared earlier," Surd explained.

Dirk nodded. "Then why did their enemies not destroy it?"

"It was a very secretive project. Even the soldiers of House Vaubin did not know about it. Their other cities were utterly destroyed, but House Glaren was unable to find the hidden fort. As time passed, they gave up."

"Fortunately, many of House Vaubin's subjects survived the destruction of their cities and made their way to Redvale as the rumor of a safe haven emerged among the wanderers."

"Why does the king not destroy it now?" Dirk asked.

"The Royal Strife was long ago. The king now most likely believes the soldiers of Redvale to have perished. He does not know that the people of House Vaubin traveled there."

Dirk nodded thoughtfully.

Surd stood up, brushing the dirt off of his trousers. "We'd best be on our way now. Redvale lies a long way off yet."

***

Later that day, they came to a small village, the first sign of civilization they had seen on the road yet. As they approached it, Surd halted.

"What is it?" Brooke asked.

"I'm willing to bet there's a checkpoint at this village. I doubt we will be able to get through."

"Would the Inquisitors go through so much trouble to capture us three?" Dirk asked.

Surd nodded. "The Inquisitors are not ones to let prey escape, especially not prey with connections to a rebellion movement. This is the first village since Highridge on the road to the Dragonspine Mountains. They're waiting for us here, I'm sure of it."

Dirk grew curious. "Will the king find out that Redvale still exists through us?"

Surd smiled. "Don't worry. I cover my tracks well and so does DeGrey. He won't connect us to them."

"Back to business," Surd continued. "I recommend we take a circuitous route around the village in order to avoid pursuit. There may be guards out there, as well, but with luck we'll be able to avoid them."

The three did as he suggested, leading their horses off the path and walking alongside them. The trees here were not too dense, perhaps thinned by the village's people.

Still, they found it difficult to move the large horses through the trunks and branches.

Several times, Surd held up his hand to stop them before continuing on.

After some time, perhaps an hour, Surd looked back and smiled. "I think we're in the clear. We'll get back on the path and continue on."

Dirk and Brooke nodded in agreement. They began to move through the woods much faster, not attempting to move quietly.

They reached the path without much incident and mounted their horses. Suddenly, an arrow whipped by Surd, who barely managed to avoid it by throwing himself off his horse.