Chapter 22

The next morning, the troops were awoken early.

As they quickly packed up their tents, running them back to the wagons, the area rang with the sounds of men's shouts. Before daybreak, they were marching again.

This time, the commanders seemed more lenient and a low hum of conversation could usually be heard throughout the day.

At first, it was chilly and Dirk's breath came out in white plumes, but when the sun rose, it warmed up. The sun was shining birds flitted among the trees; the day seemed almost pleasant to Dirk.

Bridds muttered something. Dirk leaned forward. "What?," he said.

Bridds looked at him sideways. "I said it was too quiet."

Dirk realized he was right. It gotten very quiet; even the birds had stopped singing.

The commanders seemed to realize this as well. They had grouped together and were talking in low voices.

Suddenly a bow twanged. Reacting purely on instinct, Dirk dove to the ground. Many others near him followed suit.

A man cried out once, then a loud thump sounded.

Raising his head cautiously, Dirk noticed a man on the ground by the roadside clutching an arrow in his chest and writhing. He wore a cloak mottled with the colors brown and green.

Boots sounded behind Dirk and Merov came into sight, holding a bow in his left hand and a sword in his right.

When he reached the man, he lifted his blade high. Dirk averted his eyes at the last second, missing the moment of impact.

Merov turned to where the captains stood. "Told you to send out scouts," he said cheerfully.

One of them, a tall men with a thick mustache, glared at Merov. "And we told you we did not have the horses."

Merov shrugged and jerked a thumb at the dead scout. "Not my problem, Geron, but this thing will only become more common as we go on. I suggest you find some horses."

Geron made to answer but Aetil put a hand out, his expression thoughtful. "Stop." He turned to the rest of the men. "Move out!"

With a lurch, the men reformed the ranks and began marching.

"Why was that man there? We've never seen any scouts before him," Dirk whispered to Sergeant Bridds.

The man shifted uncomfortably. "You'll see," he replied enigmatically.

"Probably because we are nearing Iblin," said a voice near Dirk's ear.

Naturally Dirk jumped, and Merov chuckled at him. "So?"

Merov laughed. "An army like this attracts attention, you know. And people usually don't like the idea of rebel soldiers passing through their homes. I'd wager that scout was sent from the garrison at Iblin, just so that they would know where we are." He smacked the hilt of his sword. "Not that they will, now, of course."

***

Sometime near midday, they arrived at a barricade erected on a hill, in the middle of the road.

The soldiers were ordered to halt by their captains.

"Who goes there?," a wary voice shouted.

"A contingent of men from Redvale,"came the reply from Captain Aetil. "We seek to restore peace to this land. Let us through, and we will pass peacefully. We have no quarrel with you, unless you be servants of the crown."