Fourteen

When we reached the lobby, Amy and Dean were already waiting by the exit, chatting idly. I had to call out her attention for Amy to notice I was here. Those two were so in-love they get too absorbed in their own world.

"Thanks for picking me up again, Ams," I said and turned to Dean, "And you too, Dean."

Amy was about to reply when she noticed Reed standing behind me. "Mr. Seymour—I mean, Reed, good evening. Did you wait for my sister again?" Her eyes briefly glanced between us.

"Yes—ah, well, I was on my way out and saw her sitting by herself. I just stayed to keep her company," he timidly replied. "But I'm glad you're picking her up today as well. If she were heading home alone, I would have offered to give her a ride."

As he said it, I tried not to be abashed by his indirect offer. But it wasn't the case with my sister. Amy was grinning from ear to ear. Afraid of what she might say, I finally turned and lightly nudge Reed back toward the elevator since it was the only access to the basement parking.

"Thank you so much for the company, Mr. Seymour. So, I shall see you tomorrow?" My words dangled into a question, which wasn't my intention.

Why am I fidgety?

Reed nodded and turned to Amy and Dean, briefly waving. "Well, I shall take my leave. Enjoy the rest of your evening."

I watched as Reed retreated and entered the elevator before saying anything to my sister.

"Don't you say it, Ams. I can see what you are thinking," I dryly scolded.

She rolled her eyes and gestured towards the door. "Since none of us owns a car, we're taking the bus. Unless you prefer to take his offer—"

I interjected. "I said shut it, Ams."

Her laugh mixed with the sound of Chicago's bustling street at night. Both rich and annoying.

****

As we got in on the bus, I noticed that Dean was carrying a suitcase.

"Are you going anywhere, Dean?" I asked.

He glanced down and raised the bag in emphasis. "Oh, this? It's not mine. It's Amy's."

I turned to my sister, who was sitting across from me, with Dean standing in front of her. "Why do you have a bag big enough for a weekend trip?"

Her eyebrow furrowed in confusion. "Am I not staying with you in the apartment for the time being?"

My heart softened. For a moment, I felt guilty for chewing her out before. But that's what sisters are like. We butt heads, but by the end of the day, we got each other's back.

"No, I think I misread your intention. But, thanks, Ams," I said and looked up to Dean. "I hope you're not angry with me for taking your girlfriend, Dean."

He smirked. "No worries, April."

"Thanks, Dean."

From there, we sat in silence until we arrived at the apartment building. After dropping us off inside the apartment, Dean did a thorough check of the condo, which was a funny notion for me (the building had security and doesn't let non-tenant in unless there was prior notice or list from the unit owners).

It made me feel safe and slightly spoiled. But I wasn't one to disregard help. It's better to be overly cautious. I'd instead go through the inconvenience and sleep better at night.

Dean hadn't stayed long and quickly headed home.

Since Amy and I were too beat to cook anything for dinner, we ordered something again.