Sixteen

"I'm surprised to see you here," Steve stated, smirking teasingly.

"You do know I work on the building two doors down, right?" I sarcastically asked. "What brought you in the area this time?"

He arched an eyebrow, keeping an unwavering smile. "I have a business in the area, actually. And that is the truth, April." He held up his hand and placed the other on his chest.

"Is that so?" I regarded him for a moment. His poker face was perfect. "Well, since you're here, do you want to get your drink with us? We were about to order."

Steve briefly glanced at the people in line, who were eying him deadly. But he wasn't fazed by it.

"Sure," he replied. "I'd like a black coffee with no sugar, please."

The cashier punched his order while Karina and Lilian followed. I ended up being the last since Steve handed me two twenty bucks that'll cover all of the coffee order.

"What is this? Are you buying?" I asked, hesitating to give the money to the cashier.

"Yes, since I did somehow cut in-line," he cheekily replied. "And keep the change as tips," he added, talking to the cashier.

I handed over the payment while Karina and Lilian thanked Steve.

"No problem, ladies. It was the least I could do." He smiled and then held out his hand to them. "And, oh, this is the first time we've met. I'm Steve, April's–uhm–friend."

Lilian's eyes twinkled mischievously. "Wait, aren't you the guy who took her to lunch yesterday and gave her flowers?"

I turned and stared daggers at her. But she wasn't bothered at all, and Karina seemed to find her act amusing. Therefore, it was likely she'd joined in.

"Oh! So, you are the other counselor casanova," Karina remarked with glee.

I sighed in defeat and pushed them away from the counter towards the side of the shop where we can stand idly and wait for our order to be called up.

"Can you three not do this here in public? Don't think I don't know what you're doing to me," I dryly stated.

Karina chuckled while Lilian continued to play innocent. And Steve was no help either. He seemed to like the attention.

Lilian turned to Steve, "I'm sorry for my friend's rudeness, counselor. She's just a bit annoyed since her boss is a jerk."

Her comment made me twitch into a smirk. Well, she isn't wrong, I thought.

"So, I had heard from her yesterday," Steve chortled. "Based on how she perceives him, she might have always thought of him as a jerk."

"Ah! Indeed, she does." Lilian laughed in agreement.

"You do know that I'm standing here, right?" I waved my hands in front of them.

"Counselor, I don't think it's wise to ignore my dear friend here and tease her so openly. It won't bode well with you later if you want her to like you," Karina interjected, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Well, I was about to ask you, ladies, if I can have a moment with your lovely friend here. I didn't want to intrude suddenly," Steve informed with a killer smile.

If not for my sake, I was sure Karina and Lilian would swoon. Even I felt flushed just seeing him. So, I cleared my throat to compose myself.

"Is there something you need, Steve?" I asked, turning the conversation back to normal.