Twelve

As I exited the hallway and entered the reception area, I could already see Steve. He was pacing back and forth in the empty lounge area. It took me a second to realize he wasn't fidgety. He was on the phone with someone.

I was able to hear the end of his sentence before he noticed me.

"...I appreciate the extra assistance. Thank you, sir." He slowly tucked his phone back into his blazer pocket, giving me his million-dollar smile. "Hey, are you ready?" He asked.

"Yeah, I am. Thanks for waiting, by the way," I said.

"No problem. I was the one who did come unannounced."

"And I hope next time you'd call."

"Next time?" He asked with a smirk. "We've not yet started this date, and you're already up for another one? You've just given me too much hope here, Nolan. I thought you only do that by the third date, based on what I heard."

I pursed my lips. "So, my sister also slips up things about me to you, does she?"

"She does from time to time. But unconsciously, of course," he coyly stated.

I rolled my eyes, struggling not to smile. "Of course."

He gestured towards the elevator. "Shall we?"

"Lead the way."

Once we reached the building's lobby, I expected him to head towards the main exit and bus stop. Instead, he guided me to the building's basement parking.

"Did you drive here today? I didn't know you own a vehicle."

"Ah, I don't. Someone lent me their ride," he replied as we made a turn towards the door, entering the basement. He then pointed at the motorcycle parking area, where it was packed.

"A motorcycle? When's the last time you drove one?" I asked skeptically.

Although, in the past, he owned a decent motorcycle. But he sold it after graduating and moving closer to the city.

"Not too long ago... but, don't worry. I do renew my license. Plus, I drove it here safely, didn't I?" he smiled innocently.

There was still some doubt about his driving skills. But I wasn't going to start this date arguing about our mode of transportation. I've been waiting far too long to be picky about it. Although I couldn't lie to myself now, I've pictured this moment differently.

Based on my sister's stories over the years about Steve's dating preparations, I've expected more finesse from him. Maybe, he tailor-made it based on the girl. The thought uplifted my mood. I only hoped this was going to get better from here.

Once we were on the road, I've grown confident about Steve's motorcycle driving. I've pinpointed familiar buildings in the area and made a silent guess where he's taking me.

However, he caught me off guard, yet again, for choosing something I hadn't expected from him.

As we entered the underground parking area and hopped off, I was eager to make my queries.

"Now, how did you manage to get a lunch reservation at The Grand Hotel?" I asked, baffled.

"Why are you surprised? I am the general counsel and in-house lawyer for the Chicago branch of Hawksley Holding. If you've forgotten, they own this hotel," he answered conversely, trying and failing not to sound smug.

I rolled my eyes. "How can I not forget? You've ambushed me at my best friend and her husband's apartment just to get some paperwork at Julian's home office."