13. The end?

~Δ~

You didn't notice but everyone watched you. Fili, Kili, Tauriel, Legolas and Thranduil from the tower. Bard and Gandalf from Dale. The surviving dwarves from the battleground. Everyone was stunned. Your grace, the power, the deceased in your arms, just everything. The dwarves from the company and Bilbo were the first ones to move, hurrying back to Erebor.

~~

You laid down Thorin on a stone table and closed his eyes. The others barged in but stopped dead in their tracks at the sight of their dead king. They surrounded him and cried and grieved. You took this moment to retreat into an empty room, to think, to process what just happened. And to give the others space to grief for their king, uncle and friend. You were still glowing with light, but it was dimmer than before. You leaned against a pedestal, where a glass bowl was placed. Finally, you let your tears loose, without sound. Just pure agony, grief and deep sadness. You heard your tears drop into the bowl, one by one.

You didn't know for how long you stood there until you opened your eyes. You weren't glowing with light anymore. The bowl had been filled halfway with tears, your tears. When you blinked your tears away to clear your vision you saw something strange. The fluid was a crystal white, just like the light that was emitting from you not long ago. You didn't know what this meant, what the consequences were or if it did something at all, but you had the urge to bring this to Thorin. Carefully, you lifted the bowl with your hands and made your way back.

~~

When you walked into the room, all eyes turned to you. Gandalf, Bard and even the elves Legolas, Tauriel and Thranduil had come. Ori wanted to call your name but stopped when Gandalf grabbed his shoulder. You didn't look at them but walked over to the table, setting down the bowl. Your white tears were still dripping into the fluid. It felt like everyone held their breath and watched your every move. You dipped your hand into the bowl, soaking it with tears. Your thumb moved over Thorin's forehead, nose and cheeks before sprinkling the rest over his body. When the bowl was almost empty, you poured the remaining fluid onto his heart. While you were doing this, you were in a trance like state, not really knowing what you were doing.

When you finished, you put down the bowl and stepped back. Extending your arms, you wordlessly pointed to Thorin. Gasps sounded in the room when a slight twitch of Thorin's body was seen. Initially, you felt immense happiness knowing he would be okay. But then you felt your body weaken. You acted on impulse when everyone was focused on Thorin's awakening. 

Turning away and running out of the room, your heart went mayhem. A strange voice boomed in your head but you instantly recognized it. As it was the voice of the power who brought you here in the first place, many years ago.

"You were abandoned for the arkenstone, a mere jewel. The king under the mountain failed those many years ago. But now, you chose to save him. You believe he won't make the same mistake. But will he? He has to choose you or the stone."

A surging pain wrecked through your body, almost immobilising you. Leaning on the walls for support you wobbled your way through the halls. Grunting, moaning and groaning in pain, you ran, crawled, pulling and pushing yourself further. You had to get the arkenstone, which was placed above the throne.

You were exhausted, in pain and frankly, it felt like you were dying. You were almost there, nothing but a few steps remained. You stretched your arm, reaching for the arkenstone. You let out a little sigh of relief when you held the stone. You climbed down the throne with your last spurt of energy. The pain became too much, your energy failing you. Slowly you felt the life in you fading away. Your eyes rolled to the back of your head and with a last cry of agonizing pain, your vision turned black. Your now lifeless body rolled down the steps and landed with a thud on the ground. The arkenstone, which was clutched in your hand, rolled away.

~~

When we go a little bit back in time, to the moment you left the room, we see Thorin twitching. With a loud sharp breath, Thorin startled awake. His eyes looked around the room, feeling lost for a moment. He was forced back into reality when his gaze fell upon his friends and family.

They all yelled and screamed in happiness, glad he was alive. Excited they filled him in with what had occured moments before. Thorin scanned the room, looking for you. But he didn't find you amongst the present.

"Where is she? Where is Tegwen?" He asked.

As if on cue they heard a loud cry followed by a thump. Immediately Thorin jumped from the table and ran. Everyone, even Thranduil, followed him on his heels. Each person was worried and concerned.

~~

"Tegwen!" Gloin was the first one to spot you.

"Her heartbeat is almost gone!" Nori exclaimed after checking your pulse.

Fear settled in their hearts, not wanting to grief for you too. They were startled when a loud rumbling sound rang through Erebor.

"What is happening?" Bilbo asked. "Please don't tell me another dragon has come."

Before anyone could answer they heard an intense voice.

"King under the mountain!"

"By my beard, that is the power who talked to Thror." Balin stated, in shock.

Thorin stepped forward cautiously, looking around.

"You have a choice to make. One's life is at stake." The voice spoke again.

"What do you mean?" Thorin shouted, confused.

"I shall give you one month."

With that the rumbling died down and a strange quietness remained.

Thorin turned around, facing the others. He looked down at you, his face showing worry.

"Lay her down on a bed. Let's give him some time to think." Gandalf spoke.

Dwalin stepped forward, picked you up and walked away. The others followed him, leaving Thorin alone. He lowered himself to the ground, mind swirling with thoughts. Then he saw it. The arkenstone, just a few meters from where you had been laying. Feeling sad at the memories he picked it up and carried it with him.

He arrived at the chamber you were staying in. He had passed the others on his way, they were seated at a table, talking to each other in hushed voices. Entering the room, Thorin found Fili sitting next to the bed you were occupying, hands clasping yours. Thorin did not speak as he walked up to the bed. He pulled the arkenstone out of his pocket and placed it on the bedside table. It was meant as a symbolic gesture of thanks. After pulling Fili into a firm hug, Thorin walked out of the room and onto a balcony.

~Δ~