Uncertain Goodbye

Prompt:

"We sat on a roof, named every star, shared every bruise, and showed every scar"

(Amazing Day- Coldplay)

Before going back to South Korea, Seri and the company 5 sat outside a house at the outpost

Before going back to South Korea, Seri and the company 5 sat outside a house at the outpost. It was already 11pm but they have decided to bond together before Yoon Seri leaves in the morning.

"It was a tough time." Pyo Chi Su started.

"We may bicker a lot but I'll surely miss you." A serious Chi Su expressed.

"Ya! I'm having goosebumps. Please, please stop!" Seri jokingly said.

All of them laughed with what Seri said and Chi Su's face changing into an irritable face.

"But I'll miss you too, Pyo Chi Su. I'll miss all of you." Seri told everyone.

A moment of silence filled in the air as they just lower down their heads as if no one can't believe that this escape plan will work and Yoon Seri will be leaving them in a few hours.

"Yoon Seri" Ju Meok broke the silence.

"It was very challenging while you were here but those were great experiences we will never forget. We're very grateful that we met you. Thank you for listening to my KDrama stories." He conveyed in a different way on how he will tell Seri that he'll miss her.

"Me too. I really enjoyed spending time with you. Please don't ever forget us and take care of yourself." Eun Dong followed Ju Meok's message for Seri.

"Always be careful. We won't be there to protect you anymore. Don't trust people easily. Okay?" Kwang Beom who rarely shows his feelings advised Seri.

"Don't worry. I knew so many things here because of you. I learned how to take care of myself more and not to trust all the people I'll meet. Thank you for always keeping an eye on me." Yoon Seri thanked the people who protected her during her whole stay in North Korea where her life is always in danger.

Pyo Chi Su, Ju Meok, Eun Dong and Kwang Beom already felt sleepy so they went inside the house to rest. They left Yoon Seri with their captain as they know they should be giving them their alone time together.

The two, who are sitting at both edges of the bench, closed the gaps between them and sat side by side, shutting the spaces on their seats.

They both glanced at the skyline without saying a word until Yoon Seri spoke.

"Thank you." Seri smilingly told the captain.

The captain smirked and slowly reached for Seri's hand.

"No, thank you." Jeong Hyeok faced Seri with a smile on his face.

"You may have learned many things during your stay here but we learned a lot because of you as well. I learned a lot from you." Ri Jeong Hyeok who is known for his stiff personality showed his soft side to the woman in front of her.

"Really? Like what?" Seri playfully teased the captain.

Jeong Hyeok chuckled and thought Seri couldn't be serious when he wants her to be.

"Okay, since I want to be serious, I would answer your question seriously." He showed a bright smile while holding both of Seri's hands.

"Our lives here are pretty serious and difficult. It is like we had scars in our hearts because of the strict living status we have here. But you changed the way we view our lives." Tears starting to fill in Ri Jeong Hyeok's eyes.

"Hmm... I think my most favorite lesson from you was the one you said when we were on the way to Pyongyang, "Sometimes, the wrong train takes you to the right station" I thought many things about it in my life. You encouraged me to think about my future which I didn't do before. Every problems we encounter, we can face it with a fresh start and change that problem to a challenge that we will conquer."

"I also envy how you adapt so well. Being in a strange place is not a good thing. But you manage to make the best of the situation and survived your stay. You mingled with everyone, even the ahjummas at the village. You created a special bond that I'm sure they'll never forget. I love that personality of yours, Yoon Seri."

Ri Jeong Hyeok got a blurry vision because of the tears covering up his eyes, knowing that she will leave soon.

A drop of tear fell into Seri's right eye that was wiped right away by Jeong Hyeok.

"Oh wait! I also discovered the difference between a scented candle and an ordinary candle." Jeong Hyeok giggled, trying to shift the mood of their conversation.

Seri laughed away the longing feelings she knows she'll feel because of what the captain said.

She quickly hugged Jeong Hyeok very tight without saying a word. By the thought of the captain not being by her side all the time, makes her yearn for him already.

Ri Jeong Hyeok felt that there was something with Yoon Seri's hug. He knows that this woman, who always shows her cheerful self on the outside, is feeling a pain inside. Although her stay was not that long, he knows it made a great impact to Yoon Seri all that happened in this country. He also realized that every people he met here already has a place in their hearts for Yoon Seri and that goes also for her. She treasures all the memories she created here and the captain loves that part of her.

"Who wouldn't love this woman?" Jeong Hyeok told himself while he also hugged her and slides his hand up and down on Seri's back.

"It's going to be okay. I promise you." He assured Seri while they were still wrapped in each other's arms.

"Why don't we go inside and take a rest now? Tomorrow's the day. Prepare everything you need, okay?" Ri Jeong Hyeok was the first one to broke the hug as he doesn't want Seri to cry so much.

Seri nodded and Jeong Hyeok helped her wipe all the tears on her face and went inside holding each other's hands.