Father's Acceptance

Prompt:

"You gave me peace in a lifetime of war."

(Troy)

A very composed Ri Jeong Hyeok entered their dining room. His father requested his presence to talk about the gossip he keeps on hearing and since he is home from Switzerland, his father grabbed the opportunity to clear things up.

His father sat at the middle of the table while Ri Jeong Hyeok and his mother sat on each sides, facing across each other.

"Is it true?" General Ri Chung Ryeol asked his son directly.

"What is true?" Jeong Hyeok asked.

"Are you still seeing that woman? Are you seeing each other in Switzerland?" His father seriously asked.

A moment of silence filled the room as Jeong Hyeok knows what his father will say. His father would always give out his reasons why he is against about their relationship but Jeong Hyeok doesn't care about any of it.

"Abeoji, what if it's true? What will you do then?" He asked his father without looking at him and focusing on stirring his soup.

"Ri Jeong Hyeok, how many times should I tell you to stop seeing her? This will not do you any good!" His father started to raise his voice.

"And what will do him good? To see a woman who he doesn't have feelings with? To be forced to an arranged marriage where love doesn't exist?" Before Jeong Hyeok even tried to answer his father, his mother interrupts.

"Love? Feelings? I am in a high position in the military and he was an officer. I don't want my son to be involved in any scandals whether he is or had been part of the military. I don't care if there's no love between them." The general clearly stated.

"Dear, please. I just want my remaining son to be happy." Mrs. Ri tried to beg his husband

"She can date anyone but not a South Korean woman." The head of the family confessed the real reason.

"Why, abeoji? Because of the war between our countries? Whether there is a war or not, my feelings with Seri will not change. I will do everything for her. I'm sorry but I can't do what you want me to do. I can't stop seeing her. I love her." Jeong Hyeok explained to his father whole heartedly.

Before his father say whatever words he wants to come out from his mouth, Jeong Hyeok's mother barge in the conversation.

"Jeong Hyeok and Seri managed to see each other despite what both of our countries' war. They found a solution just to express their love for each other. Who knows when this war will end? Who knows, maybe it won't? Maybe it will last for a lifetime. But they didn't mind any of it. And how smart of them to think of a way to meet each other by seeing each other in another country? They found peace, solace, warmth and acceptance in each other even though they can't go to each other's home country." She voiced out what she's feeling.

"Dear, is this not enough just to let them be? Isn't their true feelings an enough reason why our son is fighting for this and I know he will never give up. Their love conquers all the war and challenges that surround them." She switched her gaze from Chung Ryeol to Jeong Hyeok.

"I know that when my son is making a good decision, he is committed on doing it whatever it takes. And I'm giving my full support on him because I love him."

She finished what she wanted to say and walked out of the dining room, leaving the two men of the family dumbfounded.

Both of them were dumbfounded about what the only woman of the family, who rarely speaks about what she feels did.

It seems like this is the first time Chung Ryeol have seen his wife like that. Usually, his wife would just keep it all to herself and don't express what she would want to say.

Jeong Hyeok, on the other hand was surprised how her mother felt. He was happy hearing those words from his mother and that she acknowledges every effort both Seri and him are doing just to see each other. And for him, that is enough.

Jeong Hyeok was the first one to break the silence between the two.

"Abeoji, like what I said, I will not stop seeing Yoon Seri. What eomma said is true. No matter what kind of war we're in, I will always love Seri. I hope that love and the things eomma said would be enough for you to accept it. I will not forget our roots. I will not forget that I served in the military. I will not forget where I came from. And I will always love you. I will always love this family. But for once, I hope you'll let me where I'll be happy. I can't sacrifice the woman I love the way I sacrificed my love in playing piano" Jeong Hyeok gave an assuring grasp on his father's hand before standing.

As he was about to exit the dining room, he heard his father.

"Jeong Hyeok!" He called his son.

"Do you really love her?" His father asked without facing his son.

"Yes. I love her, abeoji." Jeong Hyeok immediately answered.

From behind, Jeong Hyeok saw his father let out a deep sigh before facing him.

His father looked at him and saw a slight curve from his father's lips. He also nodded once and closed his eyes, giving Jeong Hyeok his blessing that he accepts everything.

Jeong Hyeok shed a tear from his eyes because of happiness.

"Kamsahamnida, abeoji. Kamsahamnida!" A relieved Ri Jeong Hyeok expressed and left their dining room with a smile on his face.