seven.

"anna will you go grab your cousins bathing suit from the laundry room, i think they are leaving." anna's mother asked her as she sat by their pool,

the girl nodded her head, pulling her feet out from the water as she walked inside.

today was anna's going away party. she wasn't leaving for another month and a half, but as the weather got cooler, they decided it was best to have the party now so they could do it outside.

pulling open the sliding glass door and stepping inside, she felt her bare legs get hit with the cold air conditioning inside her house. grabbing her t-shirt off the island table, she slipped it on as she walked into the laundry room.

"what are you doing?" anna asked after pulling the door open,

nick pulled away the girl in front of him frantically, "anna- anna- it's- it's not what i looks like i swear."

anna crossed her arms, attempting to hide the pained look that now rested on her face, "really? because it looks like your kissing another girl."

the girl laughed nervously in front of nick, "i think i'm gonna go."

anna watched the girl walk away, before turning back to the boy, "so our kiss meant nothing to you, nick?"

"no, anna! no- i promise that it meant everything! i don't- i don't know what i was doing."

"whatever." she spoke, a tear falling down her face, "you know, i actually thought you liked me."

"i do! i do like you, anna!"

"then why are you hiding in my house kissing other girls?" she yelled, throwing her hands up into the air,

nick only stayed silent, not truly having an answer for the girl. it was stupid, so, so stupid. he didn't even know what came over him. he and anna weren't even dating, why would she care if he kissed another girl? but he knew that was stupid, it was the stupidest thing he ever thought of and now, he ruined it.

she let out an angry laugh, more tears falling as she grabbed the bathing suit off her washing machine, "that's what i thought."

turning around on her heel she walked back outside, he could her her come back in before walking up the stairs, and the familiar creek of her bedroom door sounded as she slammed it.

walking outside he saw his mom with anna's, rain clouds forming above them, "i think i'm gonna go home."

his mom tilted her head at him, "really? i thought we'd stay and help clean up."

nick shook his head, "anna's mad at me."

nicks sunburn burned the back of his skin as he stared at his two mother figures. sometimes he thought that anna's mom treated him better than his own dad.

"really? do you want me to talk to her?" her mother asked, only to be followed by nick shaking his head,

"no. i fucked up."

"nick!" his mom spoke, "please don't speak that way."

he only shook his head once more, opening up her gate as he walked onto the sidewalk back to his house. raindrops falling down on him as he walked.

it was going to storm tonight.

nick
which kiss?

anna ran her fingers through her hair, stressed as she looked at the message, memories flooding back in as she read the two words.