52. I wanna play too

July 2020

Beep beep beep beep.

I slowly opened my eyes.

Beep beep beep beep.

I stopped the alarm and closed my eyes again.

Another dream.

I rubbed my face, feeling a ball of emotions forming in my throat.

This has to stop. I can't continue like that.

I got on my feet and dragged myself to the kitchen for some coffee. My hands were shaking when I grabbed my favorite coffee mug.

Why do I confuse myself like that?

I sipped on my warm drink, checking the messages I received overnight.

Wanna go kickboxing again today? 🥊☺️ Yejin had texted me.

I was so grateful this woman came into my life. For the past month, she had been a real anchor in the mess I was living.

Not feeling great today 😣 next time, I answered her honestly.

I saw her already typing back but then it stopped.

I laid back in my bed, feeling like doing nothing today.

The only plan I had was Jimin's party tonight. I was planning to make a quick apparition, just to be polite. I was not feeling at all like partying.

I found myself scrolling for an hour on Instagram, just laying in the dark, feeling like an empty shell.

I wanted to distract myself from my thoughts.

BeeBeeBeeBee. Beep!

Huh?

I turned my head to the apartment door, my eyes wide in surprise.

"Your birthday date, really?" I heard a mocking voice entering my place. "You should change your code, that's way too easy."

Yejin kicked the door open with her booted foot, carrying armloads of brown bags.

"W-What are you doing here?!" I asked her, getting up from my bed.

She looked me up and down, a slight look of disgust on her gorgeous face.

"Have you showered today?"

She did not wait for my answer, spilling the content of the brown bags on my coffee table. It was a mix of food and beauty products. There were bento boxes, instant noodles, kimbap, but also sheet masks, lotions, and serums.

"Why did you buy all of this?" I asked, taking one of the delicious kimbap in my hands, trying to find the unwrapping string on it.

"I did not buy anything," she answered, taking the kimbap from me. "This is from the convenience store I work at. They let us take home the soon-to-expire items," she explained, easily unwrapping it and handing it back to me. "This," she continued, taking one of the lotions in her graceful hand. "This is from a beauty store I work at too. These are just samples but it's the same sh*t we sell on the shelves."

I nodded, my cheeks full of the savory kimbap I just bit into. I did not realize Yejin was working so many part-time jobs. I always assumed she was working in the same field she was in at Big Hit.

"It's your first meal of the day?" she inquired, opening a kid carton of juice and handing it to me.

I nodded again, taking the straw between my lips, sucking on the sweet beverage.