55. All-in

I closed my eyes, warm tears rolling down my cheeks.

You're perfect.

He seemed so fragile at this moment, so frail. I held him as tight as possible against me. I wanted him to feel all the strength I had for him. For us.

He was embracing me back just as strongly as if he was afraid I could be leaving.

Never.

"I'm s-so s-sorry... M-Micha..." he mumbled in my neck with a shaky voice.

"Shhhh," I softly rocked our bodies together, trying to soothe him.

"I f-failed... to p-protect you..." he continued with a slurred speech.

I opened my eyes, glancing at the empty bottle of soju on the floor.

If he had drunk the whole thing - and knowing Taehyung's low alcohol tolerance - he must have been wasted right now.

As I was having these thoughts, Taehyung put his whole body weight on me, making me stumble back.

"I s-should have been t-there... for y-you..." he articulated in a drowsy voice.

I also wanted him to stop torturing himself with these anxious thoughts.

"Let's get you to bed," I said, putting one of his arms around my neck and passing mine around his waist.

I tried to take one step inside the room and realized I highly overestimated my ability to move an adult man around. Luckily, Yoongi appeared at this moment.

"Micha?" his head popped up at the door. "Everything alright?"

He did not wait for an answer, coming right away to help me drag Taehyung to the bed. He did the whole job as I was trying to clumsily help behind him.

"Here you go, buddy," Yoongi grunted as he laid down his friend between the covers.

He pushed a pillow below Taehyung's head as this one already had his eyes closed.

"Micha..." he grumbled, lifting his hand in the air before letting it fall sloppily.

"She's right here."

Yoongi switched places with me and I sat by Taehyung's side. I took his hand in mine and removed his beanie with the other.

"I'm here," I said softly, caressing his brown curls out of his warm face.

His face was red from his crying. I delicately dried the last tears from his cheek. He was already drowsing.

"S-stay with me..." he mumbled, sniffing his pillow. "I sleep... so well when I'm... with y-you..."

At that moment, Yoongi loudly cleared his throat behind me.

I glanced at him and he made a small movement of the head towards the door, indicating to follow him outside.

"I'm coming back," I told Taehyung, quickly tucking the sheets around him.

Yoongi held the door and closed it behind me once we were in the hallway.

"Micha," he started in a low tone. "Don't take this the wrong way, OK? I think..."

I blinked, frowning my eyebrows.

"I think you should go home," he said, tilting his head to the side with a sorry face. "I think it's better for Taehyung. He's wasted right now."

I blinked again, slowly taking in what he was saying.