༒𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑀𝑎𝑛༒

I roll out of my slumber with a rush of nausea. I go into the bathroom and bring up my dinner from last night. I feel a hand take my hair out of my hand and rub my back. I spit out some salvia in the back of my mouth.

The after taste bitter and foggy. I sit up. I see James kneeling with me. I catch my breath and it starts again. Tear shoot from my eyes. After James helps me up. He puts me on the couch. "I'll get you something to eat."

James goes into the kitchen and gets me some juice and strawberries. "What do you want for the future." I take a bite of a strawberry.

James looks around at his surroundings. "Well as a kid I wanted to be rich. I wanted money. Already got that."

I take a sip of the orange juice. "Anything else."

James sighs looking at me, "I wanted a wife."

I laugh. "Already have that."

James looks at me, "I wanted a lot of children. Mainly with... Elizabeth." My locket tightens and heats.

Oh, Lizzy, You know this.

The way the thought came to mind. It felt natural but strange. I felt lightheaded, I close my eyes. "I'm not Elizabeth."

"You will be."  I open my eyes and see James who was staring at me. He looked confused at the way I look at him.

"What did you say?" I whisper.

"Darling I said nothing. You have been different. You can't say it's the pregnancy, because you have been acting like this for a long time. But lately, it's worse, You are lying. Disobeying not just me but you did it to your sister. You constantly question me. You don't believe anything I say. Darling, I think..." He stops looks at me who has tears in my eyes.

"You think I've gone mad..." I start crying.

James chooses his next words carefully, "Darling I think maybe you should see someone or go to a place."

I remember,

I had a sister named Jennifer, She was two years older than me. Jennifer had my mother's blonde hair and brown eyes. She has beautiful tanned skin, unlike my pale skin.

She and I were going on a trip to my aunts, in Ohio. Virginia was off studying in Washington DC. "Please Jenny don't make me wear this it so unfashionable." She puts me in a modest dark purple dress. It goes from my neck to my ankles.

"Oh stop your whining you know how old-fashioned Aunt Bessie is." She braids my auburn hair into one braid.

She puts a purple hat on my head and puts a matching jacket on me as well "Let's go father has the car running." Jenny was very controlling. She's a Virgo.

We get into the blue car, Our bags were already packed. It was a few hours to the train station. We get on a big train. We sit and talk when I noticed a man. He had tan skin, like my sisters, and brown hair with these dark brown eyes.

I turn my head away from him. The train stops, We got off the train and find a small car to take us to the road to Aunt Bess's. That's when a black car drives by us.

It was the man on the train. "You ladies need a ride. It's getting dark." He laughs.

"Oh thank you." She smiles at the man. We get in the car in the back.

The man starts to drive, "Where you are girls going?"

"Just up the road, Turn there." My sister points the man turns. The man gave me an odd feeling. Something was off about him.

He looks up in his mirror and at me and gives me a wink. I shudder. He drives up to Aunt Bess's Red house with white trim and fence. We get out of the car. "Let me help you with your things." The man smiles at my sister.

"Oh thank you, sir." I smile. We walk up to the screen door. The main door to the room was open. Jenny and I walk in. "Aunt Bess!" I shout.

That's when I felt a sharp pain in my head. Darkness. I wake up screaming. I see my Aunt Bess dead on the floor with her eyes taken out of her head, hands cut off, and toes.

I was tied to a chair. I see my sister tied to the table. "Please let me go!" She cried. I saw the man grab a knife and hack at her ankle. I saw him cut off both of her ankles. Every time I closed my eyes, He would slap me hard telling me to watch. My sister stopped screaming after a while. But seeing the pain in her eyes. Made me want to scream but I couldn't I was frozen.

The only thing I could move was my eyes. I saw him stab my sister in her heart and take it out of her now dead body. A tear drops down my eye. He puts in a satchel. With her feet.

He walks over to me, "You know, you are so ungrateful for not saving your sister. I bet you loved it when she screams. When she tried to get you to help her. I bet you loved it when she died. Now I think I will be seeing you soon." He kisses my lips. I stay frozen. He grabs my auburn braid and cuts it off. Leaving my hair uneven.

It was hours before I could even move my lips again. It had to be around 10:30 when I heard the milkman come by. I stare at my sister's dead body and cry.

They never caught the man who killed Aunt Bess or Jenny.

After I came home after according to my ma, I was too depressed. I was sent to Morningrise Mental hospital in upstate Ohio. They did nothing at all to help me. To this day I think they made me worse. Weak-minded. After George died I was sent back. All it did was making me worse.

"James please don't send me away. I can't do it. I will believe you. I won't question you, I'll stop lying just don't. Please, James." I beg him.

James looks at me like he wants to believe me or heard my story of Jenny.

I touch my abdomen, "For our Baby."

He nods and hugs me.