Chapter 1: Home

I stood there staring up the driveway at firehouse 51. It had been 5 years since the last time I stood in this spot. I took a deep breath and started walking up the driveway. That's when I saw him. He was sitting at a table laughing and smiling. I stopped dead in my tracks. Did I dare to do this? Was it really a good idea? I took my necklace in my hand and squeezed it. I then took a deep breath and continued walking. When I reached the bay doors I was greeted by Matt Casey. The look of shock on his face. Seeing me after all this time

"Shelby?" Matt just stared at me not knowing what to say or do.

"Hey Matt" I gave a little nervous smile. It was at this moment that everyone at the squad table looked over. I saw Kelly's eyes and he was in complete shock. He never expected to see me again. He stood up and started making his way over to where Casey and I stood.

"What are you doing here?" I could see the anger is Kelly's face. I had just up and left and didn't care. I ran as far away as I could. But he doesn't know the full truth of why I ran.

I looked over at Kelly giving him a little smile. "Hey Kelly." It was at this moment another man came out into the bay. He walked over to where we were standing. "You must be Shelby?"

"Yes sir. And you must be Chief Boden?" I stuck out my hand to shake the his.

He took my hand and gave it a shake. "That I am." He let go of my hand and looked at Matt and Kelly. "Lieutenants let me introduce you too Dr. Shelby Mallinson. Shelby this is Lt. Kelly Severide and Lt. Matt Casey." I could see this look in Chiefs eyes like he could fell the tension. "Dr. Mallinson let's head to my office and being our discussions."

I followed the Chief out of the bay and too his office.

Once they were gone. Kelly turned to Matt "what the hell is she doing here Matt?" Kelly was clearly angry and upset.

Matt looked at his best friend seeing the anger on his face and the sadness in his eyes. "I don't know man. I haven't talked to her in years."

Everyone else in 51 was just kind of standing there staring at their lieutenants not knowing what was going on but they could tell it wasn't good.

Matt looked at his best friend "did you notice what she wearing?" Kelly shook his head and looked down at his boots "yeah I saw it."

"That's got to mean something right?"

"I don't know Casey. After everything and the way she left." Kelly shoved his hands in his pockets not knowing how to feel. She was wearing the necklace he had gotten her the day their daughter was born. It was three hearts each with a birthstone to represent Shelby, Anna, and him.

Chief Boden's office

I took a seat in front of Chief Boden's desk. He walked around the other side and sat down. "So your here to head up the new trauma team?"

"That is correct Chief. Chicago Med wants to cut down on the fatalities that come through their ER doors. They believe one way to do this is having a trauma team on call that goes out whenever they are needed. Firehouse 51 was chosen as the test house to see if this will work and help the citizens of Chicago." I smiled hoping Boden would be just as excited as I was to be here. I had worked really hard on developing this program.

Chief looked at me with raised eyebrows. "Well we here at 51 are honor to be chosen for this. What do you need from me?"

"I would need an office and somewhere to store some medical supplies."

"Well the hospital came in and built another office in the service quarters. But first let me gather my guys and announce what is going on." Chief got on the loud speaker and requested everyone to the whiteboard room.