Chapter 9: She's Gone

Inside the building everyone was starting to come too. Severide started coughing. "Casey?!"

"Over hear Severide!" Kelly got to his feet and made his way to where Casey was calling from.

"What the hell happened?"

"This building wasn't stable. The fire must of weaken it to the point of breaking."

"Chief do you copy?" Severide called over his radio.

"This building is to old. The radio signals are not going through." Hermann said as he stood up knocking some of the building off of him.

"Alright let's just get out of here." Severide and Casey started finding everyone and making their way out.

When they got downstairs they found Gabby doing CPR on Shay.

"Shay?!" Kelly ran over to help Gabby.

Casey ran outside to get Shelby and a backboard.

Chief and I were standing there not knowing what to do. It was quiet. Then we saw someone emerging from the building.

"It's Casey!" I ran over. "Casey are you okay? How is everyone?"

"Shay needs you."

I nodded and ran inside while Casey got the backboard. I saw Kelly doing CPR. But I could already tell. It was to late.

"Kelly?"

"Help her please!" I walked over and sat next to Kelly.

"Kelly we need to get her out of here." I tried to get Kelly to stop.

"No! We need to get her breathing before we move her!" Kelly was crying.

Casey gave the backboard to Hermann and Mouch. He then came over to help me get Kelly to stop. "Kelly stop. We need to get her out of here."

Hermann and Mouch helped get the backboard under Shay. Then Cruz and Otis helped them carry her out.

I walked out with Kelly and Casey helped Gabby out. Another Ambulance was called to the scene.

As Shay was being loaded in Kelly looked at me. "Please go with her." I gave Kelly a nod and went with the Ambulance. I tried everything but Shay was already gone and there was no bring her back.

Everyone else headed back to the house. Chief had called in replacements but no one wanted to go home. They all went to the hospital instead.

A few minutes after they arrived I walked out. They could see I had been crying. "I'm sorry... We tried everything..."

Gabby started crying and Casey just hugged her. Everyone else was just sitting there quiet staring at the floor.

I walked over and sat down next to Kelly. "I'm so sorry Kelly."

"So she's really gone?"

"The damage from the explosion was to much for her. We never got her heart beating again." Kelly started crying and I held him trying to comfort him.

1 week Later

Kelly hadn't gone back to work since Shay had died. He would just sit in their apartment alone. I hadn't seen him in over a week. I went over to check on him. He wasn't responding to anyone's texts or calls. I knocked on the door and no one answered. I turned the handle to find that the door was unlocked. I let myself in.

"Kelly?" I walked in and found him just sitting on the couch. He looked so tired. His eyes were red and dark circles had formed around his eyes. I looked around the apartment and it honestly looked like after he came home from the hospital after finding out about Shay, he had sat in the couch and hadn't moved. "Kelly have you eaten?"