Chapter 5: I'm Sorry

Kelly walked to my office and gave a little knock on the frame of the door.

KNOCK KNOCK

I turned around to see Kelly. I gave him a little smile. "Hey Kelly. You back working?"

"Yeah I got the all clear to return on light duty. "

"Well that's good. I'm sure the guys and Chief will like that you are back."

"Yeah. Speaking of Chief. He wanted to see us in his office."

"What for?"

"I have no idea."

"Okay well let's go." I got up from my desk and followed Kelly to the Chiefs office.

Kelly knocked on the door.

"Come on in!" Kelly and I stepped into Chief Boden's office.

"You wanted to see us Chief?"

"Yes. Please take a seat and close the door." I sat down while Kelly closed the door and then joined me in the chair next to mine.

"What's up Chief?"

"What is going on?" I just looked at Kelly not knowing what the Chief meant. "I can tell there is history between you two. I need to know."

Kelly spoke before I could. "She's my ex-wife and Anna's mother."

Chief just kind of leaned back in his chair not knowing what to do with the information. "Can you two work together? Or is there going to be a problem because I will pull the plug on this program."

"No chief. We are fine. We can work together. " I responded and Kelly just nodded his head.

"If one problem arises from the two of you working together then it's over. I don't need drama in my firehouse. I need you both focused on your jobs and doing what you need to do."

"Yes chief." We both said at the same time.

"Good. Dismissed."

Kelly and I walked out of Boden's office. Kelly followed me back to my office. "Can we do what he asked?"

"I don't see why not Kelly. That was 5 years ago. "

"Yeah but after the whole Justin thing..."

"Kelly if you thought you couldn't work with me then why didn't you say something to Boden?"

"Because I didn't want him to pull the plug on your program." Kelly was still looking out for me. It was really sweet of him to do all things considered.

"Well thank you Kelly. But if you change your mind I understand." I sat down on my bed while Kelly leaned against her door frame.

Kelly had given me space but I could tell he was dying on the inside to know why I left without telling him goodbye. "When are we going to talk about why you left?"

I Sighed. I knew this day was coming but it didn't make it any easier. "After shift. I don't want to do this here."

Kelly nodded "Alright we will go to your house after shift."

I gave Kelly a nod. Kelly left me in my office and went to find Casey.

"Hey man. How did the meeting with the Chief go?" Casey asked as Kelly took a seat next to him in the common room.

"He knows."

Casey raised his eyebrows. "Knows what?"

"He knows Shelby is my ex-wife."