Chapter 18

This was going to be more challenging than I expected.

Suppose I do fry the tracker that was implanted inside my neck by the United Nations; the tracker a condition dictated by the Sokovian Accords. That will send an alert to the nearest military alliance of course, but suppose I am able to evade their capture. What then? I shall be a fugitive, and will certainly be captured when a person eventually recognises me and calls the authorities.

I certainly do not have the luxury of wearing a cap and a pair of sunglasses and having that be an effective disguise. My skin is a damning crimson red, enough said.

And so I have spent the entire morning attempting to visually humanise myself. I must say I am rather proud of the way I have mimicked human hair on my head, and a small tuft of hair above each eye. However, the toning of the skin... I just cannot seem to get right. Currently, I am a splotchy orange; resembling an unpopular president. Although an improvement from my usual red, it would still be unflattering enough to attract attention, potentially even medical attention.

After several hours of attempts, and somewhat basing my look from a minor character in the Da Vinci Code film that happened to be playing on the television, I was fairly satisfied with the result.

I made a few detailed adjustments while I looked at myself in the mirror. Fine silvery-blonde hair rested atop my head, and my skin was a light peach. My lips were ever so slightly pink. The colours were different, but the features were all mine; I still had my thin nose, my jagged facial structure, and my arctic blue eyes.

I hoped it was all enough for her to recognise me.

~*~

I can hardly believe my luck... I've escaped! A drone did tail me for a while, but the Mind Stone had no trouble reducing it to ashes. I may have been unnecessarily thorough in destroying it, but it felt awfully good to use my powers again.

I then proceeded to fly above the clouds, and travelled for what seemed like hours, hoping that I wouldn't be spotted by passengers on a passing plane.

Time passed, and the white cotton clouds were washed with the pale orange hues of the setting sun.

Over time, the orange turned into a pink pastel painting, and they reminded me of the last time I saw Wanda. The rosy glow of her cheeks as she gazed at me; the only beacon of light within the dark thalassic ocean prison that held her. How she could be locked away in a place like that and still beam up at me was something that only my Wanda was capable of.

The pink hues in the clouds deepened into a mauve as the sky bruised darker, the same colour as the lipstick she wears as war paint when she becomes the Scarlet Witch, and now I remember how she pressed those lips against mine, and how this had caused an unusual humdrum of my inner mechanics, threatening to fail.

I admit, I have absolutely no idea how to find Wanda, nor how to find someone who might know where Wanda is. Clearly I had not thought this through, which shouldn't surprise me because it wouldn't be the first time I've acted rashly when this woman was on my mind.

I froze as a sudden shiver flitted through my spine, and an urgent need to descend towards the ground overtook my consciousness. In my peripheral vision, I saw the faintest wisp of red mist, but it was gone before I could turn my head.

Unable (and unwilling) to fight the urge that had possessed me , I dove headfirst into the clouds underneath me, and let myself free-fall while simultaneously changing my outward appearance to become human-like.

As I flew closer to the ground, I realised it was the outer suburbs of a city. The streets formed a perfect grid, with freshly painted houses and trimmed lawns and white picket fences.

Why am I landing here? Did I really think I was going to find Wanda in suburbia? I shook my head at my foolishness and landed on an empty dark street. The pale yellow street lamps had turned on as night descended, and everyone had turned in for bed. This was fortunate for me, because despite the fact that I resemble a human, I was sure no one wanted to see a 6'5 man looming around their neighbourhood.

A sun-damaged red car turned a street corner, and trundled towards me, only to come to a loud screeching halt . The driver, a scrappy old man, wheezed as he rolled down the window.

"You must be tired from all that flying, take a seat" he muttered, gesturing to the back.

I gawked.

"C'mon, I don't have all night. You can't fly much longer without solar power. Let me drive you to me."

I continued to gawk silently.

"Ahh Vis', I really thought you of all people wouldn't underestimate what I'm capable of" the old man grumbled, peering at me to reveal glassy red eyes.

The hinge mechanism in my knees threatened to give in.

"Wanda" I breathed.

The man smiled, revealing rotten teeth.