Chapter 22

It was a sweet evening of holding each other, cradling her as she fell asleep. I stayed awake, soaking in the setting solar rays through the tinted windows whilst looking over the city.

I thought about what she said, about this tower being my birthplace, and therefore holding emotional value to her. I simply could not mimic the attachment she had to this tower. This was a location that was often fraught with conflict, and built by a man whose weapons of mass destruction had killed her parents and her beloved brother Pietro.

And then, I reminisced my own birth. All those years ago, I had been brought to life by a colossal jolt of electricity, and I had woken up with the fiery pain of life searing through me.

And then I had seen her.

~*~

Eyes wide, she trembled at the sight of me. Loose strands blew across her face but she was frozen, unable to move to brush them aside.

Immediately I felt pain... not the kind of pain that alerted my mind of physical injury, no. It was the pain of knowing that this ethereal creature feared me. Hurt was the first emotion that ever plagued me, and it was as painful as it was unwelcome.

She studied my facial expression, attempting to read me. In hindsight, she may have even used her magic to truly explore my mind.

Her mouth fell open, the fear in her eyes replaced with wonder as she realised that the creation of my first thought was based on the powerful instinct to protect her.

~*~

That look of wonder in her eyes is something I cherish. And this moment had occurred here, in this cursed tower. And for that... it may seem I have a bittersweet connection to this location as well.

I gazed at Wanda, her head resting in the crook of my shoulder. The cool light of the stars caused her skin to look exceptionally soft. Her dark silken waves of hair were fanned out around her, appearing wing-like in appearance. I imagined a dark faerie curled in a cocoon, waiting to emerge from her deep slumber.

I brushed her cheek, and her eyes fluttered open.

"Wanda, let's find somewhere safe to rest for the night"

Stirring, she nodded, and sat up, gazing at the stripped walls with affection.

"This will be the last time we visit here" she said softly.

"I suppose it will" I replied.

"Come" she said again, walking towards the balcony. Conjuring two red orbs, she began to hover, looking at me expectedly.

"Flying again are we?" I pondered, once again concerned about being seen by New York's night life.

"I have some tricks up my sleeve" she said with a mischievous smile. She snapped her finger and turned invisible.

My mouth dropped open. Was there no end to her powers?

I heard a giggle somewhere in the air, and I took off to follow her. I heard another snap, and I went invisible too, unable to see my hands even as I held them in front of my face.

Incredible.

"This is incredible!" I yelled out into the night, hoping she was still within earshot.

"Isn't it?" she laughed at my reaction, and I followed her voice.

We flew silently, the cool night air whizzing past us. She was close, surely she could see me with her powers, or perhaps hear the billowing of my cloak.

"That building up ahead, it's the apartment I'm renting" she said from next to me.

We landed on the asphalt on top of the building. With another snap, she made us visible again and I promptly reassembled my human disguise.

A keycard allowed her access to the stairwell door, and we began the descent downstairs.

To my pleasant surprise, we only had to go down one floor to reach her room, and then realised that she must have chosen a room from the highest floor intentionally for her flighty ventures.

A quick escape too, if she were to be caught.

The room was tiny compared to the spacious rooms I was accustomed to at the compound, but large enough to suffice. It consisted of a kitchen, a bathroom, a large king-sized bed, a couch and a television. The wall towards the back of the room was not a wall at all, but glass, outside which a balcony held a small garden table and two chairs overlooking New York. The city lights resembled fallen stars that twinkled faintly.

"Do you like it? I asked for the room with the biggest windows for you to soak up the sun-rays" she asked, throwing herself on the bed with a sigh of fatigue.

"It's marvellous Wanda, thank you" I replied graciously, feeling my own battery run low. "If you don't mind, I'd very much like to rest now"

"Of course"

I walked towards the corner of the room, preparing my systems for the shutdown procedure.

"Vis'" she scolded softly. "You don't have to stand while you sleep. Come here" she patted the bed next to her.

"Oh, it's no bother at all. There is no physical disadvantage to the battery-saving mode if I were to sleep upright, and besides, I'd rather you have the bed-"

She rolled her eyes. "Vis. It's a big bed, and I'd prefer that you sleep next to me."

My heart thrummed warmly. "Of course. Your wish is my command" I murmured meekly, climbing into bed with her.

I paused as I suddenly realised the implications of our position. I had witnessed many bedroom scenes with new lovers through the narration of films and novels; most importantly I knew what was destined to happen when the lights were turned out.

I was aware of sexual intercourse, but it wasn't something I had overwhelming experience with. I also wasn't sure that I was capable of it.

However, not too long ago, I didn't think I was capable of love, and yet here I am.