Chapter 20

"Wanda" I warned. "Stop this" I scanned the crowd to ensure nobody noticed, but it was too late. People were already staring.

Wanda threw the orbs towards the ground with great force, causing the red to shoot through the concrete beneath us and trickle up the legs of the surrounding people. One by one, I watched pairs of eyes turn a glassy red, unaware that they had been temporarily robbed of their minds

I turned to Wanda with shock, who was now hovering over the ground with her long hair swept up with the wind and her own eyes glowing red; not the glassy red of the surrounding pedestrians but the piercing and passionate scarlet of unyielding power.

I watched with shock and admiration as the red mist continued to spread 50 metres, 100 metres, 300 metres in radius with Wanda in the centre of it, affecting all the people in her circle of control and causing them to turn away from us and continue walking to their respective workplace silently.

I must have had quite an expression on my face, as Wanda felt the need to reassure me.

"They'll be okay, I promise. I wanted to fly with you; and not want anyone to see" she said, the soft tones in her lovely voice a stark contrast to her current appearance of a fiery phoenix in flames. This was Wanda Maximoff and the Scarlet Witch, together in harmony, and the most powerful version of her I had ever witnessed.

She must have spent the last six months practising her powers thoroughly, and yielded formidable results. But if she claimed that the people were okay, I believed her wholeheartedly.

"Well then... race you to the top!" I challenged, and watched an eager competitive glint form in her eyes.

She formed two more orbs in her hands, and used its force to take off with startling speed, her silken hair rippling behind her. I followed suite, feeling quite strange flying in a shirt and trousers rather than my usual battle-suit, and caught up to her easily.

I sped past her, and turned around to watch small lines of frustration form between Wanda's eyebrows as she sped up to catch up to me.

Unable to, she released a grunt of frustration, and twirled a finger to form a small wisp of red smoke, which she flicked in my direction.

The mist enveloped me, binding me tightly in place and she overtook me easily.

"Oh now Wanda, this is hardly fair!" I called out to her.

She chuckled, releasing me from her vermillion hold as soon as she was metres away from the finish line; the large balcony on top of ex-Avengers tower.

With a gust of speed, I shot at Wanda's direction, nearing her faster than she could reach the tower. Arms extended, I pulled her away from the surface and into myself, as we rolled together onto the balcony. My hands held Wanda's head into my chest to cushion her fall, and despite the concrete hitting my back hard, I could only feel Wanda on my body and the strange surge of electricity where our skin met.

With Wanda now top of me, she raised her head so our eyes met, causing a tension within me that bloomed into powerful emotions that I knew Wanda would detect clear as day.

"I think I won that round, I was already in the vicinity when you pulled me away" she stated suddenly, her breathlessness tickling my neck.

"I'm afraid I disagree, my back has made physical contact to the floor of the tower, and you haven't even touched the tower yet" I retorted.

Her eyes widened. "Oh, no no no, I win, and you cheated by pulling me away."

"You cheated too" I reminded her.

She narrowed her eyes, and I grinned.

She huffed, and attempted to pull away from me but I held her by her small waist, unwilling to let her go.

Unable to keep up with the casual pretence, I gazed at her with longing that caused her dark eyes to widen.

"I want you to know, you could use your powers on me however you like" I murmured gently. "I'm yours entirely"

A breath caught in her throat and she attempted to compose herself, and I felt a sense of vindication knowing that I had an inkling of the effect on her as she had on me.

Filled with confidence now, I ensured that I still had my human disguise for her sake. I leaned forward, desperate to feel her lips on mine.

She leaned away slightly. "Not like this" she murmured. "I want to see the real you".

Confused by her request, I let my skin transform to synthetic crimson. The longing in her gaze grew when she saw the original state of me.

She held my face and kissed me, her soft pillowy lips moulding unto mine.