End of a Chapter, Start of a Story (An Ashin One-Shot)

April 24, 2017

WARNING: This can get really SAD! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

(A/N: This isn't the third-part to "An Ashin Story" (which was never called "An Ashin One-Shot" before...).

==========

-Griffin-

I sighed as I sat at a table with Ella and Ray who were chatting about someone. Tyler probably since i've been hearing his name. Ray and Tyler had started dating a few weeks ago.

(A/N: Just pretend they are for this one-shot)

I mean, i'm happy for them and all but that's not why i'm sad. The real reason why i'm sad was what was currently happening on the dance floor. Anyone not on my position would think, 'Aw, they look so cute.' Anyone on my position...well, you could say they wouldn't be just as happy.

Ash and Devin, dancing. Okay, let me go into more detail than that. They got together only recently after a battle between some rebel group. Ash had told us the full story with the details that if I write them all down, it'd be fifty pages already.

Devin almost died, Ash somehow managed to save him, he said, 'I love you,' they miraculously survived and poured out their feelings to each other. (Ash said 'poured out.' Not me).

Was I happy? Well, I was happy that she was happy. I wasn't happy because it wasn't me. And that sucks in the stories.

I waited too long, you could say. There had been a time when she returned my feelings but, being the idiotic person I was, I refused and told her it wasn't the right time. We were escaping Conquerors, we were trying to get back to Greenhaven, and I was infected. The thing was, I was only thinking of myself. I was scared of myself, of what I might do to her, when I didn't even think of what she felt. Well, I deserved it.

"I think i'll go to bed early," I announced to the two as I got up.

"Griff, are you okay?" Ray asked. She always managed to sense what someone was feeling.

I decided not to lie right then, "No. That's why i'm going to bed."

I walked away and out of the party hall. As I began walking through the hallways, I heard a familiar voice, "Griff, wait."

I stopped before hesitantly turning around slowly, "Hey...Ash."

She looked genuinely concerned, "Are you okay?"

I shrugged, "I think you'd be able to tell if i'm not."

Realization filled her eyes, "Is this about me and Devin?"

I sighed, "Okay, yes it is. But if you're happy, then i'm fine with that."

"Clearly you're not."

"Clearly you being here and us talking isn't going to change anything," It came out harsher than I intended so I softened my voice, "Ash, just go back to him."

It was silent for a moment before she said, "Do you want me to go?"

I remembered what Eilene had said before when I asked if she wanted to come with us, 'No, I don't but it's not a matter of want but need.'