Who Am I: Chapter One (Griff's Backstory)

April 28, 2017

Who Am I
Chapter 1 - Ursa

==========

==========

"Please remember Griff...i'll find you and i'll make things right again."

"Griffin, wake up!" I jolted at the sound of someone's voice, "You're going to be late for your Nectar!"

I sighed before yelling back, "Coming Mrs. Miller."

I stayed there in bed for a moment before it finally hit me. Today was the day I was going to have my Nectar Ceremony. Today was the day I would find out if I would summon a Spirit Animal!

I quickly got up and opened my small drawer in the corner of my small room. Quickly grabbing my best clothes (which wasn't much), I ran out my room and into the nearest bathroom in the house.

- - -

"Good morning Mrs. Miller," I greeted as I entered the dining room. Only two of her kids were there, finishing up their breakfast.

So I should say a little bit more about myself. After my mother had died and my father had... disappeared, Mrs. Miller, a close friend of my parents, was the one who took care of me. Sure she's really kind and motherly and all but she just...doesn't see me as her child I guess. Not like how she sees her six other children. I'm always the odd one out of the family. No parents, no siblings, no nothing.

"Why good morning dear," Mrs. Miller replied, "You go eat your breakfast quickly. The Nectar Ceremony is going to start soon."

I only nodded and began to eat. As I did so, I started wondering, not for the first time, what Spirit Animal I would summon.

'A lynx would be cool,' I thought, 'or a wolf, wait no, Briggan's a wolf. Hmm...actually, a bear would be perfect. I'd name them, Ursa... right after the constellation..'

"Griffin, would you please chew on your sandwich a bit faster?" Mrs. Miller jolted me out of my thoughts.

"Right, sorry..."

- - -

"Griffin Gray, come forth!"

I had already watched the other two fail to summon their Spirit Animals and I was beginning to doubt if i'd summon one. I knew it was a rare opportunity to summon a Spirit Animal but it wasn't impossible.

With a deep breath, I walked up to the front and approached the Greencloak. I didn't want to meet him in the eye. I refused to look at any Greencloak in the eye.

"Receive the Nectar of Ninani," the Greencloak said, raising the flask to my lips. I took a sip and was surprised at the sweet taste of the liquid. Before I could get another chance, the Greencloak pulled it back.

Something began to stir inside me. I suddenly felt strength course through me as if I could break anything down my path. Then I felt like I wanted...a nap?

There was a loud roar, people screamed and shouted in terror and awe. My gaze was trained on the big creature that emerged from the forest and was walking towards me. A brown bear.

Automatically, I knew it was a female as soon as it reached me. With a trembling hand, I reached out, touched her furry head and the feeling disappeared.

I already knew her name. Ursa.

==========

Next: Who Am I: Chapter Two - Major