Prologue.

I pant as Zayn and I run down the street. It's like that everyday. We run home from school. We both like running, so we agreed that we'd run home from school everyday. Plus, I need the exercise anyway.

I look down, screaming as I almost step on a cat's tail. I run past it, placing a hand over my heart dramatically as I continue running. I steal a glance at Zayn, who's smiling widely. He's been smiling all day, and that's not really a bad thing. I mean, I fall more in love with his smile every day. It's just odd.

"Did something happen today that you didn't tell me about?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. His smile just so happens to get even wider.

"Yeah, I was going to tell you," he says, pausing to take a short deep inhale as we near my house. His house is right across the street.

Zayn and I have been friends for almost 4 years. We tell each other everything. He's one of my only real friends. I don't really like having so many friends. I am grateful for the ones I have.

"So?" I smile. Whatever it is, it's very important.

"I asked her out on a date today and she said yes!" He says, almost squealing.

My face drops, but I try to mask it with a fake smile, "Oh, that's great," I say, increasing my speed. I practically sprint to my house. Stopping at the front door and turning around to face him.

"It is," he says, grinning from ear to ear.

I fake smile.

"I'll see you- Holy shit, I almost forgot. We have a history test tomorrow," he says, groaning.

"Yeah, that. Um, can you come over later? In an hour or so? I can't study that alone," I frown.

"Yeah, of course. Bye," he waves as he looks left then right and quickly crosses the street.

"I love you," I whisper after he waves one last time and closes his front door.