V || Threat

A door appears at the corner of the room for Lena's exit. She brushes past Caelus and leaves without another word while he merely watches her go. He doesn't follow, and the door closes in his face, disappearing as if it senses the need for Lena's leave—and Caelus' unfinished business.

"Give her some time," Arcana advises, trying to poke some reaction out of Caelus, who is still staring at the space where the door just vanished. He finds none; not even the slightest of movements is perceptible when the boy thinks.

"How ironic," Caelus comments after a short period of stoic silence, finally turning to face the headmaster.

Arcana raises his brow. "I've never known you to be sarcastic. Savage, no doubt. But sarcastic now, are we?"

Caelus pointedly ignores the comment. "What are you up to, putting me and Lena together? You know it only spells disaster."

"I see you getting along well, though."

"We don't," he says flatly. "I only met her recently."

"Yet you stepped in for a stranger, a feisty girl you barely know. You agreed to be her partner for a duel—something you will never take part in on your own even if the world forces you to," Arcana points out. "You never involve yourself in other's business. Why do you do that now?"

Caelus falls silent, and his eyes trail to nowhere, a habit of his that Arcana finds hard to figure out. While he does, it's like his soul has left, and there is never an opportunity to try and discern Caelus' thoughts. He is simply indecipherable.

When his eyes finally lands on Arcana once more, they are redefined, somewhat softer compared to his usual fierce gaze. "She's... quite a handful," Caelus admits quietly.

Arcana lets out a long sigh, the corner of his lips quirking into a small smile shadowed by his own hooded gaze, but Caelus doesn't notice because he's busy staring the headmaster's desk down himself. The headmaster threads his next words with extreme caution. "I think Lena has the potential to figure out the true extent of her abilities herself. But as I said—and I am not fooling around—I'd prefer if you will so kindly give her a hand."

"How certain are you that this decision is wise?"

"Didn't you just say you trust me, Caelus?"

Caelus pauses for a brief second. "You're the reason I'm standing here today," he says slowly, soft as a whisper. "So yes, I trust your judgement, old man. Whatever you say, then."

"That's really cooperative of you," Arcana compliments, albeit slightly sarcastically.

The Ace crosses the room and sits back down on the chair. Lena aside, there are still things that need to be addressed. How the old man still prefers to prioritise Lena first, Caelus doesn't want to begin to fathom what lies ahead, whatever ominous message that brings. For him, though, he isn't that forward looking. What's the point of thinking about the future when you don't even know what it brings? Instead, there are more pressing, present matters.

"What are you going to do about Roen and the other captured students?" Caelus asks. "I mean, you know there's going to be action on my end—the government will look into this—whether I like it or not, whether you like it or not. But what are you going to do about it? I hardly think you'd simply stand by and let the authorities handle it."

As if on cue, footsteps sound in the corner of the room. When Caelus turns to the source, he finds Neesha and Clarice entering the room through yet another different door that recently appeared for their entrance. Clarice, the snobby bespectacled girl in his class strides toward them silently but authoritatively and seats herself beside Caelus. He doesn't know her very well—it isn't as if he spends a lot of time in classes—but Caelus is aware of her ability. After all, it is known that she is one of the best Clairvoyants in Arcane Academy. Neesha follows uncertainly, and when she reaches the desk, Caelus gives up his seat for her.