XVIII || Illusion

"Andromeda Sector?" Reyes' quirky voice fills the silent morning air.

But he isn't the only one with that query. That's the first question in everyone's minds, as soon as they arrive at the border of the sizzling purple barrier that separates a part of the City from the rest.

It's dawn as the people who's agreed on this mission reconcile, and Lena is sure she isn't the only one who's not gotten enough sleep. In fact, she isn't sure if she slept at all after the tossing and turnings last night.

"Glad we're all present," greets Arcana, strangely lively at this early hour. "Everett, could you tell me again what are the limitations to your ability?"

"I can move objects, several at a time. I can move people, too, but not too many at once and not to a large scale."

Arcana nods. "To deal with the living matter with telekinesis is considered strong."

Everett shyly scratches the back of his head, ruffling his dark hair which is not gelled and more unkempt than usual this morning. "I thank you for the compliment, headmaster."

"Now, we just need him ready..."

While Arcana talks to Everett and addresses Reyes—mainly asking him to make sure he doesn't get distracted by other things and try to see this seriously—Lena notices Celeste watching the sun still deep in its slumbers over the dark orange horizon, tinged with the purple shade from the reflecting City. Her gaze shifts from that to the dome-shaped barrier that lies before them, covering an entire section of the City with its sizzling forcefield. Her eyes are distant, but there is something in them that isn't usually present in Celeste.

"Are you worried about something?" Lena prompts.

This seems to catch Celeste off-guard. She turns to Lena, then replies, "Ah, Lena." She greets her with a soft smile. "How have you been? How do you feel about all this?"

Do the siblings have the same habit, or what? Lena's surprised and amused reactions must have been too obvious, because Celeste puts her hand over her mouth and quickly amends, "Did I just ignore your question? I'm sorry, my mind was somewhere else."

"I don't blame you," Lena says. "I don't feel ready, either. Are you worried about your brother?"

"Caelus? No," Celeste says hastily, crossing her arms. "I-I'm pretty sure he's fine."

Lena doesn't push further. She clears her throat, opting for a change in topic. "Umm, so was this part of the City before it got locked down?"

"Yes," Celeste replies, and Lena can feel her tension easing. She is evidently grateful and relived for the distraction. "It used to be a living sector. One day, it was deemed dangerous and is now excluded from the rest of the City..."

Celeste sighs, her eyes yet again drifting into the distance. She remembers then, an unpleasant memory. It seems as if nothing can keep her mind off the people precious to her. Her brother, for one, never bothered to tell her he was going on yet another assignment even if she's asked of him to at least let her know he's not coming back for the evening. Perhaps it's foolish of her to think so, but sometimes she wonders if Caelus sees her as his sister at all. She doesn't blame him, even if she does always hope he'd be more open with her.

"Celeste?"

She looks back at an extremely anxious Lena. "Sorry, I was thinking about something."