XXXVIII || Premonition

Despite the upcoming trials, despite the horrors Arcane Academy has faced in these recent weeks—and perhaps because the fact that they survived and might have to endure worse days ahead—Arcana took no delays in announcing the entire City of the school's intended celebration.

Lena initially gawked at the grandeur and at the lengths Arcana went in promotion for his return of the students, but Neesha claims it is just for the sake of status and image. For distraction, Lena realises as she notices the hype better than the anxiety.

City-wide, the news of Arcane Academy's Annual Games draws the public's attention away from the grief of Sector Andromeda. It is a stunt, Lena learns, that Arcana pulled with the authorities. They agree to assist in the investigation of Lucifer's incident—demons on school grounds and enhanced abilities—while Arcana is to bring forward the annual event to be held just after the trials, as a distraction for the public as they settle the recent loss of Andromeda.

Effectively, Arcane Academy is all everyone talks about in the streets these days, betting on which students who will make an appearance.

And as a pre-game festivity, the Academy is hosting a party at the end of the week for the students.

"It's just a party," Caelus emphasises and explains to Lena now. "Nothing special."

Lena looks up and raises her brows. "Even for Arcane Academy?"

She talks between breaths, her hands on her thighs from her recent leap into a glass piece. The places she enters are no longer voids now, unlike back when she faced Azalea or back when she first used her abilities in this Precision room. It's much easier now to travel and cover distances, mostly effortlessly without headaches once she's gotten the grasp of travelling through glass pieces. Lena doesn't appear in unlikely places anymore either, and thinking back, she laughs at her past self for launching herself in front of Lucifer, too.

Together, Caelus and Lena discovered that her glass transversing does not limit to a certain range. She can travel from a piece in her palm all the way to the glass floors of the Aerotrain station—hence unlimited, as long as she knows there are glass surfaces involved somewhere. She has since learnt to jump confidentially enough that she doesn't need to endure the vertigo that usually comes after anymore.

But Lena's training doesn't stop there. Caelus is teaching her to be more aggressive and creative with her abilities.

"Even for Arcane Academy," Caelus echoes, confirming. "A regular celebration."

"I don't believe it."

"It doesn't matter. It's going to happen."

Lena stares him down, even has his unflinching gaze is almost like a glare. "Let's bet on it, then. Something's going to happen during the party."

"Nothing's going to happen—"

"Bet on it," she insists.

"Define the 'something' that you think might occur," Caelus challenges.

"Well, it could be anything," Lena counters, mirroring his crossed arms. "Demons, an ambush..."

Without warning, Caelus ushers a glass shard in her direction. She barely dodges it, but Caelus flings another. "There are no demons in Arcane Academy."

"But Lucifer—"

"No," Caelus warns, his eyes flashing dangerously.

Lena stops, watching him. His otherworldly eyes burn not with anger, but something else entirely. It only lasts for a mere second, before his impassiveness returns, and Caelus sighs, summoning the glass shard he's thrown.