NAV

Nau
Nine

The loud calls of the maids of Hastinapur were all in vain as the younger princess of the kingdom slipped away from their holds when the news reached her ears

The maids were playing along with Dushala and Padmaja with the toys that were present around the whole room.

The princesses already tired out the maids in a game of hide and seek with both of them together in a team against 8 dasis —and still winning it with Padmaja's graceful run and Dushala's high knowledge of every single sneaking point of the palace— the maids put forth the request of resting for some time which of course the girls obligated to giving each other a knowing look and then saying simultaneously.

"Maa se daat kisko khana hai?"

And now they were decorating their dolls with help of the maids.

"Jiji, how does this red lehenga chunri looks on my doll?" Padmaja spoke turning the doll in her hands towards Dushala who instantly looked at the said object and smiled.

"It's so pretty Padma. But why didn't you braid her hairs?"

Padmaja smiled noticing the frown on her sister's face and ran towards a flower pot in the room and sat back down at her place with a lotus she picked out in her hands. "I will put this lotus in her hairs. Then she'll look like me. Isn't it great?"

"But how will you do it?" Dushala asked. Padmaja tilted her head in confusion and the elder girls began to explain. "Are, choti, the doll's hairs are small. How will you put such big lotus in her hairs?"

The dark orbs filled with wonder whose owner was none other than Padmaja stared at her elder sister as if she had seen worlds best thing. "Jiji, you are so smart!" Padmaja put her chin on her fist as she frowned again in her thoughts. "How come I never thought of this?"

"Don't worry. I am right here. What to worry about?"

Padmaja smiled at her sister but her smile fell. "But now my doll will not look like me. Jiji, what now?"

"Hmm." Dushala tapped her chin. "Maybe we could find a smaller lotus— no, even the buds of lotus are quite big." She sighed in defeat, her face saddened at the trouble that occurred in their game. "What do we do now?"

The dasis, who were sitting around the princesses enjoying the extraordinary event playing in front now too frowned at the crestfallen expressions of the sisters and the oldest of all them went ahead to sit beside them unable to bear the sadness.