Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Sprint's POV-

As we were lining up to get our papes I put my hand in my pocket to check if I had 50 cents. Oh god. I only feel 49. Oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god!! What??? This can't be happening!!!! Oh wait there its it. Haha.(A/n lol sorry this has been happening to me way too much lately and I had to put it in.)

There was only Crutchie and Jack ahead of me. I noticed the man who was selling papes was old and scrawny. He was probably about 60 and had short white hair, black glasses and white whiskers. As soon as Jack had his papes, Crutchie paid for his papes.

"Mornin' Mr. Weisel. 40 papes fo' me and 10 fo' da newbie." He say gesturing to me

"Ahhh a new kid eh? Alright here Ya go Crutchie."

"Umm 20 papes for me please, sir." I said shyly.

"Hey!! Finally I got two good mannered newsies!!" He chuckled with the DeLancie brothers, as the rest of the newsies glared at them.

The taller of the DeLancie brothers handed me my papes. He just stood there staring at me, not letting go of my papes.

"Uhh Oscar?? Is there a problem here?" Jack said coming up behind me.

"Just go." He snarled.

Oscar where have I heard that name before......

"That was close" Jack interrupted my thoughts as I walked with him over to the others.

"What do ya mean?"

"Oscar. He was the one who was 'napping you that night when we found each other."

"Ohh. That's who he is."

"Yup"

"So where am I sellin papes today boss?" I said cheekily

"Well I was thinkin you could go with the best in the business today, just so you could get the hang of it" he said standing

"Okay. So who's that."

"Me!"

"Oh, ya sure." I said joking

"Okay I was gonna give these to you but....." He said about to bite into an apple.

"O HOLY KING OF NEWSIES YOU ARE THE BEST OF THE BEST I SHALL WORSHIP YOU." I said getting down on my knees, bowing to him.

"Alright here ya go! Stop makin a fool a ya self!" He said trying to make me stop as a few of the newsies looked over and started laughing.

"Why?? Am I embarrassin ya in front of ya friends?" I teased

"First of all, stop what ya doin and take the apples. Second, they ain't my friends they my family. Now that youse a part of it ya gotta understand that." He said sternly.

"Okay." I nodded.

"Alright Newsies! Hit the streets!!" He yelled as he led me to a barber shop.

"Stay here I'll be right back." He said as he ran inside.

While I was waiting for him I heard very quiet singing. I headed around the corner and looks down the alley, it got louder.

So I walked further down and came across a girl my age with dirt caked strawberry blonde hair, tattered clothes, no shoes, and a muddy face. She sat there holding onto a young girl for warmth. The little girl didn't look as bad as the older one, probably her sister. She had the same hair and clothes as the other and was singing with her. They both looked so skinny and frail, that if someone were to touch them they would shatter.