Dividers

"Don't do anything stupid."

"Please do not do anything stupid."

"Charis, if you take anything with you from training, it is to not do anything stupid."

Suffice to say, the one thing I was told not to do... was the only thing I had ended up doing.

Hidden in one of the rooms of the palace, my hand covering my mouth... not even I could trust myself to stay quiet.

My wide eyes peered out the small crack of the divider, and I saw a woman- no, she still looked too young to be of age... and I watched as she wept.

Her hands covered her face as she tried to stop, wiping harshly as more and more tears left her wet eyes.

A large scar ran across the expanse of her face, just barely missing her eye.

The paper in my hand crumpled slightly with every passing second.

After separating from the other school kids from the capital, I snuck into her room, not entirely knowing that it was hers. It was just the most secluded, and one that seemed to be connected to the main palace.

Applying what Ares had taught me about scouting, I made sure there wasn't a single person around- nor a single person inside. Jumping in through the window, that had only required a little bit of picking to unlock.

It was a great room to enter since it was so out of view no one else was paying it any attention.

Before the girl had entered, I had found some peculiar information. Tucked away under pillows and blankets. But the moment I had heard the tiniest of rattles I panicked. Running around the room before I hid behind the divider.

She had trudged inside, her attendant hot on her heels. Trying to console the crying girl, she helped her remove her veil. I watched as her face came into view, my lips parting as I watched with fascination.

Bright red eyes, tear-streaked cheeks, and wet lashes.

And the raised red skin of her scar.

"Princess, please-" The attendant started, but the girl shut her up with a wave of her hand.

Her eyes narrowed at the older woman, "Don't bother with the honorifics, after today they don't belong in front of my name."

My eyes flickered down to the parchment in my hand, my head staying still as I remained frozen.

The attendant shook her head, "They are yours, princess, no one can take that away from you."

The "princess" scoffed, a tear running down her cheek as she looked out her window. "Please, I really don't want to think of this any further."

Her attendant opened her mouth and shut it as the girl let out soft cries. The older woman frowned, hesitantly approaching the weeping child. Her leathery hand came up to her head and patted her, trying her best to console her.

"Harleen..." She whispered, brushing the hair away from the girl's face. "Is there anything I can do for you, child?"

Harleen shook her head, instead, she took the woman by surprise. Quickly latching herself to the woman, arms wrapped around her waist, she began crying louder.

"There must be something," the attendant pulled her off, cupping her red face in her hands. Thumbs wiping the hot tears off her face. "I'll come right back with some treats, they are from the new country." She smiled, believing that candy would help this girl work through her pain.

It wouldn't, even I could tell- as the creep that was intruding in on this moment.

The lady ran off, and I watched as Harleen's hand was still outreached like she was about to latch back on to the woman.