What We're Fighting For

"Take it easy. You can't get your hopes again. Not after the last time, when you kidnapped that kid because you said she looked like yours and Gerald's kid. Remember, my Brokemon?"

"I was trying not to think about that." He responded, rushing off the deck.

The soil squelched under his feet, his thick-heeled platforms barely affected. He was on a mission. Dirt couldn't stop him now.

Light grew stronger the farther they travelled. The architecture changed around them, developing from steampunk cogs; to rustic metal; to rotting wood. Exactly the house Gerald had dreamed of. This had to be the place, he knew it.

Eric sprinted around the corner, Horseman doing the dolphin-worm behind him to conserve energy, until they screeched to a halt.

There it was.

A 20ft, pure-gold, glistening statue of Edna. In all of her maid glory. Eric couldn't stop the gasp that escaped his eye, and the tear that dribbled from his tongue. Everything they had fought so hard for, and it stood in front of them. Part of him wished that Edna could be here with them, to see her beauty reflected at her, but he was glad that she'd found true love on the Isle of Fernando's.

Eric's hands shook gently as he approached the statue. It started with a step, then another, until he was sprinting across the huge room. Suddenly, a figure appeared from the side door, hidden under a cloak.

"After thousands of years... it has been found." The figure spoke. "The fable spoke true; a statue of unimaginable power, crafted upon the most beautiful sight known to humanity." His deep voice rumbled.

"Edna." Eric whispered.

"By her human name, perhaps. But to us... she is the Great Ezerath, Lizard of the Universe."

Eric glanced at him for a moment, before fixing his sight upon the statue again. "How does it work?"

"So eager. She grants one wish, and one wish alone, but only if it is - as they foretold - 'sick as fu-"

Eric roundhouse-kicked him, his superhuman strength causing the figure to crack the stone floor. "Shut it, skank."

"Good hit, Brotein!" Horseman yelled, running up to Eric's side. "Do you think your wish is gonna work?"

"I know it. I'm getting him back." Eric grit his teeth, kneeling at Edna's golden feet. The room began to rumble. "O' Great Ezerath, hear my wishes: delete the bourgeoisie, and return my lover - Gerald Croft - to me."