Not Just a Dream

Song-Falling Apart- Emile Haynie

Chapter 6: Not Just a Dream

I was running. The overgrown leaves of the rainforest scratched against me as I pass by.

"Jami!" Julius squeals.

I ignore him and keep running.

"It hurts!" He says, and begins to squirm.

I stop, readjust him in my arms so his leg isn't twisted, take a deep breath, then continue running.

I hear a wail, but it isn't Julius. It came from behind, at what used to be home.

I bury Julius's soft and fragile head in my chest.

"Jamison!"

I halt, my father stood a good 10 feet in front of me. He was standing stately, looking as strict as usual, which is weird considering the circumstances.

"Father! Thank god!" I exclaim and run into his outstretched arms.

He hugs Julius and I, in the unconnected, awkward way he always did, but it didn't matter. He was alive.

He pulls away, "is your mom-?" His voice stops.

I didn't want to answer that, still clinging to that hope that she was still alive.

"I'm not sure," I lie.

Father frowns.

"Natalie." He says, looking over his shoulder.

I'm not surprised that I didn't notice the woman standing behind my father earlier. She is dressed in dark green clothing that matches the foliage of the jungle and is as emotionless as I was when the shooting began.

She doesn't say anything, but raises her eyebrows as if to say "What's up?".

"Take my sons to the base."

Father lets go of us and heads in the direction towards our home.

"Father!?!" I call out for an explanation, but he ignores me.

I'm just about going to run after him, but someone grabs my shirt collar.

"Not just yet, Jamison."

-

I break out of my sleep, doused in sweat.

Chess slept sweetly beside me, we spent the whole night kissing and talking. She is curled up in all the blankets and her snores come out more like purrs.

I kiss her beautiful shoulder, the only thing that she has exposed.
Her mouth twitches into a small smile, but she remains asleep.

I lightly jump out of bed and grab my blue robe,

there is something I have to see.

I pull out the file August gave me on the Inanimalia out of my backpack.

I sit down at my kitchen counter and open the file up.

There was only two things inside: an uncollected file report on the capture process,

and a photo of the prisoner.

My heart stops, and not in the good way, like with my beautiful Chess, but the bad one, like when you accidentally think "Hey, I'm gonna die some day." and the you go into psychotic, breathe-into-a-bag, panic mode.

The woman in the photo is my worst nightmare, the reason why my dad is the way he is, the reason why I have trust problems, and... she's the bitch that personally had my mother killed.

My blood boils.

Natalie.

My mind explodes with ideas about this wonderful opportunity I have been placed with. If I kill her, my father's insane idea of universe domination will be put to a stop.

Won't it?

I really don't know.

She destroyed your life.

So, your saying it's worth a shot?

Obviously.

I should probably start taking my medicine again, the one that stops you from showing up.

That's probably a good idea.

Aww, to hell with it. I have a vendetta to finish.