Chapter 6 - DENIAL

After Zayn went to his gate, to wait for the permission to enter the plane, Liam just stood at where Zayn had left and stared outside of the window.

The rain seemed to hit against the long panorama windows of the airport. It almost sounded like it tried to break the windows.
The thunder must've been extremely close, as every few seconds there would be a new bang that could be heard.
And as if it wasn't enough already, the sky was now pitch black and grey, dense fog crept over the city.

Liam arrived back home after 45 minutes which was unusual as the normal way to the airport would take 20 minutes.
But the roads were severely slippery and the fog created a very poor vision.

As he finally arrived home, he just fell onto the couch and didn't move for a long time.
He didn't know why he was being so weird. Just like Zayn's absence made his energy leave his body.

Or was it something else...?

That weird feeling just wouldn't go away...

Trying to brush that weird gut feeling off he tried to fall asleep.
And after a while of trying, he finally dozed off.

Waking up, he wanted to grab his phone to see if Zayn or maybe his friends had texted him.
But his phone was still broken and Liam cursed at himself for not getting a new one immediately.

He looked at the clock, realizing he almost slept for 3 hours. Zayn must already be over the Black Sea or something, Liam estimated.

He had turned on the TV to now zap through the channels.
Since at this time of the day nothing was really happening in any channel, he decided to stay on the news channel.

What he saw would change his life forever.

There was an extreme seriously speaking woman standing at the news desk.
There was a tint of sadness in her look, even if anchors should always keep a straight face.

Before Liam concentrated on what the woman said he said to himself: «Something bad must've happened..»
Without him doing anything, a weird feeling came over him.

He looked back at the TV, now seeing a picture of an airplane on the green screen.

«No pictures have been released nor taken of this tragedy. The team of investigators is still hoping for people who may have survived, although it doesn't look like it at the moment.
You will now hear Christian Philipps, a specialist of the air traffic control.»

«This afternoon, approximately at 5pm GMT the machine BOEING787 of the Pakistan International Airlines crashed over the Black Sea.
The plane came from Manchester flying to Pakistan with 194 passengers on board.
Reasons for the crash are still unclear and under investigation. The probable reason for the crash was the weather conditions leading to a loss of control of the pilot.
Also is still unclear if there are any people who have survived the severe crash, which is rather unlikely. According to the experts who have now arrived on site.»
Family members of the passengers were informed immediately.»

«Back to the studio. Thank you very much M. Philipps. This was it for these tragic news. We keep hoping for new positive information and will inform you as soon as possible.
This was...»

Liam's head was pounding and could neither think clear nor hear anything being said in the news program.
He was shaking uncontrollably without even realizing, while he was  looking for his phone to hopefully see a call from Zayn, saying that he was fine.

It took minutes for Liam to realize, that his phone was broken.
So he grabbed his car keys and without a jacket, just in his slippers and his normal clothes, he ran to his car.

He was driving at an extremely dangerous pace, but he couldn't care less. He just needed to get to that airport to clear up that Zayn was fine and it wasn't his airplane that had crashed.

No, that couldn't be possible. Why would it be Zayn's plane? Why would it be him to get killed in a plane crash? Zayn and killed? Those words weren't fitting. Zayn was probably in another plane being afraid but fine, right...?

When Liam had finally arrived in front of the huge, modern building he didn't take the time to park his car. It was standing in the middle of the parking lot but Liam didn't even think of that.
Running through the rain to the airport, he didn't care about his surroundings, his actions or his life.

Everything that was on his mind was...Zayn.

Completely soaked in water and breathing shakily from all the running and the nervousness, he went to the information counter.

The lady raised an eyebrow at him, not understanding a single word Liam was stuttering.
«Slow down young man, I can't understand the words you are saying.»

The whole airport seemed to be hectic. Because of the accident, all flights for that day were cancelled and everyone was waiting on new information on the case or they just went back home, attending their flight somewhen else in the future.

After a few seconds Liam calmed down that much, that the lady could understand him.
«W-was he o-on that pl-plane?!»

«Who are you talking about exactly?» The woman asked, now concern and sadness written all over her face, knowing exactly on which plane that person might be.

«Zayn M-Malik»

The woman started to type the name into their system.
Not just Liam, also she was praying now that this person wasn't in that accident.
How would she break those news to him, probably making that young man's heart shatter into millions of pieces?

In fear, she slowly typed every letter:
Z a y n  M a l i k
Her eyes widened in shock as she saw in which plane he was seated earlier:
BOEING787
Pakistan International Airlines
Row 7 Seat 4b
A little green tick showed, that this person had successfully entered the airplane before taking off.

No idea of how to tell the young man in front of her these news, she just stuttered: "I-I am so s-so sorry Mister...uh Malik I guess..."
She whispered the last sentence: "Zayn Malik was in the plane that had crashed."
And the last words she just breathed out with tears in her eyes: "There were no survivors."

As Liam heard what the woman had said with tears in her eyes, he walked backwards shaking his head.
Starting to panic he started to mumble "no no no..." and stumbled backwards.

A few minutes later he found himself outside in the rain. Sitting on the ground, sobbing uncontrollably. His mind still wasn't able to process what had happened.
While gasping for air his mind repeated the sentence: He is fine.

He wasn't fine. And maybe deep down Liam knew it, but his mind couldn't process it.
He couldn't feel his body anymore. His heart was aching and it felt like it had shattered into pieces that were now cutting him open from the inside.
The sharp shards seemed to cut his flesh, every single piece reminding him of it.

The thoughts that it hadn't happened started to fade away. Reality hit him harder every second and so with every second, he was crying and shaking even more.

He wasn't able to breathe anymore and either passed out or fell asleep in mid of the pouring on the ground.

As he woke up, he didn't know where he was. It was already dark and only the fade light of the street lamp was shining on the few cars being parked in the parking lot.

Liam, who was shaking due to the rain and cold, stood up slowly and walked to his car, still confused about what had happened.
As he sat down in the car and saw the picture of him and Zayn that was laying in the central console, everything seemed to come back to him. Hitting him like an avalanche.

And with the picture of him and Zayn in his hands, the shards of Liam's heart seemed to cut deeper into his body.

He was gone. Forever.