August 30th, 2015

So as it turns out, the farm house wasn't really a good idea, we had a pretty nasty storm last night and the place nearly blew over! Between that and the water pouring down through the ceiling we took it as a sign to hit the road... Besides, we've been hearing some activity to the west that sounded like it was moving closer toward us so its time to get the hell outta dodge.

Hazel and I thought it would be best to travel through the woods, I could've sworn I heard a car or two while scavenging yesterday and you don't really know who you can trust these days. Wouldn't want to accidently stumble across the wrong kind of people. Survivors will do scary things trying to stay alive... I would know all about that. 

Hazel is really good at using the compass, she's got us heading east. Blindly, I might add, but we know that it'll eventually take us to Alberta, the next stop on our journey across the wasteland! Can't say I am too excited to visit, but I've never been so I'll try and stay optimistic.

We stumbled upon a family of deer about a twelve hour walk from the farmhouse. Momma, poppa and two babies. It was the cutest thing I've ever seen, but even something that cute looks delicious when you're starving. We only had a couple of cans and a pack of ramen left between the two of us, and I had been putting off eating but at this point but I began feeling pretty weak and needed something to eat, might as well make it a feast!

The doe and her young spooked off pretty quickly after Hazel "accidently" stepped on a branch... the buck, however, stayed, staring at us curiously. His head bobbed up and down, eyes locked on Hazel. 

"Reese, don't", Hazel cried.

I pulled out my gun and it was done. One last bullet I was saving for myself now in between the beautiful creatures eyes. I felt nothing. Numb. I don't know whether I should be worried about that or not but I was too hungry to really give a fuck.

 As soon as the deer dropped I pulled my knife and sliced off a chunk of meat.

"Lets get a fire goin," I smirked. 

After trekking through the woods for the better half of twelve hours, a nice hardy meal cooked over a campfire is unbeatable. I can't remember the last time I ate that good... along with some canned potatoes it reminded me of daddy's home cooked BBQ.

I'm a little worried that I wont make it much further across this country in the state I am in. My feet are covered in blisters, my skin as red as a lobsters from cooking in the sun, the fact that I am beyond exhausted, to a point where I think I'm seeing things. I am hesitant to set up camp here but were balls deep in the Canadian wilderness. On the plus side, we're beside water, and we could potentially preserve that meat for awhile if we submerged it in the stream. We never really did get to rest back at the farmhouse. 

At the end of the world, rest is probably one of the most important things you can get. You need to be sharp for whatever bullshit is going to come your way that day. If we kept on going instead of staying put we'd be killing ourselves. Sometimes you have to make do with the circumstance you're in- I didn't plan to be dozens of kilometers deep in the wilderness without any shelter so we're gonna have to wing it.

Camp was  nothing more than a few sticks poking out from the ground with leaf covered branches laid on top to protect us from the elements... hopefully one of those elements isn't wind. Hazel had this brilliant idea to string up the cans surrounding our camp, so we hear something coming before it gets close. Being this deep in the woods I really doubt we'll run into the infected, but it's always good to be cautious. 

We're keeping the fire low so we don't attract any unwanted attention. It's pretty cold right now but it isn't worth the risk. We decided the best way to keep warm was through body heat, so here we sit, snuggled in the only blanket we have, next to a campfire while I write in my diary. 

I honestly can't imagine a better way to end this day.