August 28th, 2015

They always get in, right?

We've been on the run for the past couple of days now- it came as no surprise when that door finally gave way. 

Hazel heard the door crack- acting quickly she grabbed her lighter and lit the curtains on fire, as per our "get the fuck outta here" plan. They caved through the door as the white laced curtains went up in flames. Many of them were distracted by the blaze, but a good chunk of those decayed bastards saw us dart up the stairs. Those things were literally everywhere, our saving grace was the fact that there was so many of them. Before you could blink they were toppled over and piled up on top one another. It was unbelievable how many of them were there. It bought us just enough time to make a run for it. 

We made our way to the small office down the hall; I had placed a ladder in there anticipating the need to escape. I find it's always a good idea to have some sort of contingency plan, as experience has shown that the dead will eventually get in.

Hazel placed the ladder through the window, smashing the glass on the window in the house next door.  It was at a bit of an odd angle and if it moved even slightly, we might had fallen to our deaths. It was probably the most terrifying experience of our lives.. being the fact that we were hovered about 20 feet in the air above a hoard of the undead, add to the fact that we are doing this on a flimsy latter that could collapse and send us to our horrific deaths at any moment- but what the fuck else were we gonna do? It was go time!

What took about five minutes seemed like an hour to get across and safely into the house next door. Of course, the person who used to sleep in that room didn't like the fact that we were intruding. Thankfully he plummeted to his demise, nearly taking the ladder with him as Hazel crossed. Thankfully I was able to grab it in time and hold it in place.

From this experience I feel pretty confident that these things are incredibly stupid and easy to fool, and I think I've pretty much relied on that fact to survive up until this point.

Escaping was almost too easy, the hoard had pretty much swarmed into our house, attracted by the fire and growls of the other infected. From there we left through the back yard and jumped some fences to get as far away from that place as possible. We needed to get out of the city, there are too many noises here, its almost impossible to find a street without some dead old bastard roaming it.

The both of us agreed that we needed to get our hands on a vehicle but as we made our way through the city we quickly realized that vehicles were scarce and the ones that were around were either in an accident and completely undriveable, or the gas had been siphoned from them. Another precious commodity of the apocalypse you probably wont find in the city.

It was at least a thirty kilometer walk to Hazel's mom, but we did it anyway. It's funny how your will to survive drives you even when you feel absolutely exhausted. 

 I don't think either of us were surprised to find her mother dead, or that building overrun. Thankfully she only lived on the third floor so we were able to get the keys for her car, but I swear to you every couple of minutes one of those infected bastards would come flying off its balcony, exploding as it hit the ground. It was so surreal. I suppose the shockwave from the missile strikes in a nearby town we later discovered had shattered a lot of windows here... You begin to imagine the stench around this place as their splattered guts cooked in the hot sun.

That town I had mentioned; I guess it must had been completely overrun with those things, as among the ruins laid hundreds of bodies, and severed body parts of the decayed. It was a horrific thing to see, but all in all a good place to lay low for the night.

In some ways I can feel myself getting weaker by the day, I'm not entirely sure if its because of the current circumstances, or the one that used to matter back before the world turned to shit. I don't really think too much about the fact that I'm dying of breast cancer anymore. I'm still scared, of course. But life goes on, and there may be some hope yet.

We spent the night together in what was left of this desolated town,  at a campfire while sitting at the edge of the car seat. I decided to skip dinner tonight, I wasn't really feeling too hungry and we might need that food later. If I keep hydrated, I'll be fine. It was truly a ghost town, nothing in sight for miles. Perhaps it was that putrid smell of burnt rotting flesh and fire that kept them away... you never do get used to that smell.

The next morning we were on the road again, it was a beautiful morning and we both had a decent nights sleep in the car, surprisingly.  We listened to her mothers CD's, some lady we never even heard of but I really didn't care- as soon as we knew the words we were singing along! I can honestly say that was the most joy I've felt in such a long time. You really do have to enjoy the simple things. The two of us make a great duo.

We managed to make it about 400 kilometers before we ran out of gas. It was inevitable, and with gas in such short supply we had no choice but to hit the road. Thankfully today wasn't as hot as it has been, its starting to cool down which is nice for now, but I worry about winter and how we're going to travel when there's nobody left to plow the roads... I don't think its gonna be pretty.

For the most part the rest of our adventure was pretty uneventful; we tried our hand at hunting but failed. It's a shame too, that deer looked real tasty right now. We ended up at some wobbly old farm house and are gonna hold base for a few days, hoping to scavenge some food and supplies, maybe try our hand at hunting again.