Chapter 2

full disclosure: i have no idea how a mental institution works, mkay? this is kind of my own take on it so, not trying to be offensive if anyone is offended...

+++++++++++++++++++

"Hey, I need to get off early to go see my brother."

The half-Asian woman, Venus Mei-Chi, who was Leon's supervisor, looked over at him and made a face.

"You look like shit, Leon."

"Restless night."

"With your mind or the bottle? And how many?"

"Both and two that I remember... may have been more."

"It's a good thing you're a damn good nurse or we'd be having an intervention every morning." She said with a sardonic smile.

Leon smiled. "I run better on whiskey and gin than Red Bull and B12 any day of the week." Venus shook her head. "So, about me getting off?"

"To see Aelan? Yeah, sure, hun. Anytime. What time are you going to be leaving?"

"I don't know, maybe around 2:00 or so? They close at 6:00."

"That's perfectly fine. You should see him more often anyway."

"Too many memories... Anyway, thank you very much, Ms. Mei-Chi." He said with a small bow.

"Yeah, yeah, go to work." She griped, waving him off.

Leon grinned, brushing his hair back in order from the bowing. He went over to the calendar to see what section he was going to be working in that day. He had a love-hate relationship with the AM shift. He liked to get off early but if he accidentally drank too much, he always came in late. Venus covered for him most of the time, but it was a hassle and he felt like he was always letting everyone down. His phone rang and he pulled it out of his scrub pocket, finding a number he knew all too well and didn't want to answer, but did.

"Kaycey..."

"Guess who?" she said.

Leon sighed. "Hael?"

"Yup." She said. "Same place. You want to overnight him or bail?"

"Let that stupid ass sit it out this time. I'm not a bank."

"Sure thing, dude." Kaycey said, chipper as ever. "One night in the clink it is."

"Thanks, Kaycey."

"Of course."

Leon sighed and was about to start his rounds when his phone rang again.

"WHAT?!" he snarled into the phone.

"You are a piece of shit."

"Hello to you too." He growled, knowing exactly who it was without needing the caller ID.

"Bail me out."

"I've got things to do today besides come and help out with our ungrateful ass. At least when I do my bad habits I make sure to stay at home where it won't bother anyone else with the consequences."

"What could you possibly have else to do that isn't buying more liquor? It's not like you have a social life."

"I have a work life."

"That is only afloat because your on/off girlfriend feels sorry for you."

"Did you call to just be an asshole?"

"You didn't answer my question."

"I'm going to go see Aelan today."

Hael was silent. "Why?"