[Prologue] - mellifluous

Pain. Grief. Betrayal. Manipulation. Abuse.

All that mixed up together would eventually become Shoto Todoroki's whole depressing childhood. Everything around him was forcing him as a child; an innocent and fragile child at that. Why? Why did he have to be a puppet to his own Dad? Why did he have to hear his own Mom wanting to abandon him?

What did he ever do to be treated in the worst way possible?

"From now on, you will be training in order to surpass the number one hero, that godforsaken All Might."

As a child, he had no choice but to comply. He had to follow his old man's commands and granting his greedy wish became his primary goal. But the time he had grown up, he was sick of it-sick of always being the famous Endeavour's pathetic son. He was sick of how he treated him and his siblings.... and his Mom.

His life was ruined because of him-that abusive hero who's saving humanity not to contribute for the greater good, but to be the best of the best.

What a crappy piece of shit.

Shoto could care less. After all, it was pointless. So here he was, looking down at the small paper envelope he had received from UA-the place where his sacred freedom began. He passed through recommendation. And he hated it. He hated how his so-called Father used his power for him when he can pass the entrance exam by himself.

It made him feel weak and he didn't want to feel weak, he wasn't weak in the first place, never was he going to be called a weakling. Those who says he was weak were the ones who are truly weak.

Tch. Weaklings.

But right now, he had to focus on one thing. It's that to succeed not for his Dad, but for himself and his family. He knew he can fix everything and he was certain that he would be happy with his siblings, without his Dad, his Mom, and him too. He can stand up for himself, that was how he lived for the last couple years with hardly being under Endeavour's control.

Though it was stupid. He was stupid. Why did he try escaping from his dreadful Father by being the best of the best?

I don't know. Ask Todoroki yourself.

Why did he have to experience all that pain?

I don't know. Ask Todoroki yourself.

"Why do you like cold soba so much?"

I don't know. Ask Todoroki yourself.

Todoroki lifted his head slightly and caught a glimpse of his sister's face in the corner of his eyes. She had walked through the now open door with a bowl in her hand. She then placed the bowl on his desk and he stared directly at it, "You're too Elsa, you know that?" She laughed.

"Thank you, sis." He muttered as he reached for the chopsticks that were on the bowl of cold noodles. "Congratulations, Shoto." His sister patted his head before leaving him in his room.

It was always like this in the Todoroki manor, and yes I'm specifically talking about his daily life there. When resting in his room, there was only a comfortable silence accompanying him. His siblings would knock on his door here and then but he was mostly alone. When training, he's out there almost dying fighting and training the quirks he inherited from his Mother and his goddamned Father. No one could ever measure just how much he hated his fire quirk. To him, it was a curse and so was the scar on his left eye marked by his own Mother.

How pathetic. Todoroki is pathetic. You're pathetic.

Todoroki took a sip of the soup and dug in some cold noodles that he loved so much. He then took a second to glance at the outside world through his window. The scent of Sakura trees calming him a lot more.

Spring was his favorite season, everybody around him actually presumed that winter was his personal favorite. But nope! Seriously, you can't judge a book by its cover. Everyone knows that but they always tend to forget it so it didn't really bother him that much. He wasn't at all sociable so he didn't have friends to know him truly, not even his own siblings. Though he had gone used to it and it wasn't a problem hiding his personality from others too.

Instead of the smell of his noodles, he smelled a fresh and cherry blossom scent. And also, a nice and relaxing sound of a well-pitched flute came soothing his ears. He hadn't notice a small smile in his face.

Every end of spring, there was this cherry blossom perfume and a melodic tone of a flute coming out of nowhere. But considering how it reached his window, he assumed whoever that person was was close. He was curious of what the person would look like but he had no urge to follow the scent and the sound. He just admired it while it lasted.

It started from when he was in 5th grade. The scent and the sound always sent him to an ecstasy of serendipity, that's why he always looked forward to the end of spring seasons. It kept him low.

Though he did not know that this person was much closer than he had thought. Very close.

For some reason, one word came across his mind and he smiled contently to himself,

"Reminds me of plumes."

-

Plume; todoroki x reader

A/N: Hi! First of all, thank you so much for choosing to read this book of mine (it's my 2nd bnha fanfiction book actually). Just saying that this will be a light one so no deadly fights, no serious angst, just a simple light academia-inspired fanfiction.

Also, y/n is not a hero in training in this story. I'm sorry if you disagree with your character not being in UA with Todoroki but this is how I want my story to go.

If you like reading Bakugo x Reader fanfics, I would recommend reading mine which is called "Trust", and yeah I started it a year ago and it's pretty cringey, I would say. Though it's also fine if you don't.

Enjoy!

please don't forget to vote and comment!