10

"The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies.'"

                       PROPHETESS
                          ~~~°°°~~~

After hours of walking, running from hoodlums who Mary got in trouble with, running from people who Mary stole money from, running from dogs who Ikechukwu had tried to pet, the two finally arrived in Aje.

After asking for directions and realizing they were not too far from home, they still couldn't go back because of how things weren't settled yet, so Mary had taken Ikechukwu to another town where she claims she knew someone that could help.

"Church? You plan to find your answers in a house of God?" Ikechukwu asked not believing that out of all the places she could have brought him, she chose a place of worship.

"I have a...well, I won't call her my friend, she's an annoying bitch if you ask me, but... I have no other choice." Ikechukwu kept quiet, at the moment he had seen enough to be shocked by what Mary had just said. "You wait here, I don't want her to see you."

"Why? Is this another plan to leave me behind?"

"If I wanted to leave you behind, you will already have been left behind. Just wait, I'm coming."

Ikechukwu didn't say another word as he watched her leave. He simply found a shade to hide from the scorching sun. He gave a nod and smiled at the woman selling tomato few feet beside him in greeting, she gave him a suspicious look, hissed and looked away. Ikechukwu frowned wondering what he had ever done to offend tomato sellers.

Meanwhile, Mary was trying to sneak pass a line to go see the 'prophetess'. There was a long line of members of the church waiting to see the woman of God, they all waited to receive the blessing of the Lord.

She tapped the elderly man before her, he turned slowly to answer her. She gave a cheeky smile before asking, "Uh...Is there a way that I can skip pass this people?"

He frowned, confused for a moment. "No, you have to wait in line like other people." He eyed her before facing his front. "I have been here for two hours and you want to 'skip pass', aunty skipper," she heard him say.

Mary frowned. She didn't have the time to wait. So with a sigh, she rolled her eyeballs to the back of her head and gave a blood curling scream. This immediately got the attention of everyone as they all turned to see what had caused it.

Mary was already on the ground, rolling round like a crazed woman, the laughs that came out from her would remind you of an old witch in a Nollywood movie.

"Jesus Christ!" The elderly man Mary had questioned earlier was the first to shout. "Witch! This one na witch oo!"

The screams got louder, as a large circle was formed round Mary. "Someone send for the prophetess!" A young man shouted.

Martha stepped out, carrying an air of grace around her. She was dressed in a black gown, hugging her huge bible to her chest, but what would draw one's attention was the huge boot she wore, with her rainbow coloured knee socks. She resembled a prophetess from the nineteen hundreds, with the afro hair and all, but even with all these she couldn't hide her youthfulness and beauty.

"What's going on here?" She asked looking up to the sky, a sneer on her face.

A man rushed forward to her, falling down at her knees. He kissed her boot. "O wise one, the young woman fell down and started screaming. I believe she had been possessed by an evil spirit."

"Hmm," Martha hummed. "Bring her to my office." Without another word, she turned and walked back to her office.

Two able bodied men took hold of Mary hands and legs, even with the muscles they had, it proved hard to contain Mary. People watched as she was carried to the office, shaking their heads in pity.