Cruel Intentions

As soon as they'd stepped foot back on East Highland their bubble had seemingly bursted. When Bee walked into the cafeteria she shot a glance at the table where Nate was sitting with his football friends. He had a black hoodie draped over his head and sat with his arms crossed over his chest. His eyes shot up to Bee's immediately before she turned to make the line for lunch.

"How was New York?" Jules asked standing right beside her after taking a tray.

"Good." She answered shortly. "Where's Rue?"

Jules shook her head briefly. Her hair was in a bun and the roots looked greasy. She was wearing a grey jacket and jeans, which was by far the most plain outfit she'd ever worn to school.

"She just got out of hospital yesterday."

"Did she relapse?" Bee asked stopping dead in her tracks.

"No." Jules said. "She had a kidney infection on the weekend."

"Oh."

"Move the fuck over." She heard someone scream behind her.

Bee continued walking to the cashier as she absently grabbed a coke.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I just found out yesterday." Jules said. "She doesn't want anyone to know."

"How did she even get that?"

Jules shook her head. They both paid and walked over to an empty table.

"And what happened to you?" Bee asked. "I feel like I missed out on a lot last week."

Jules pressed her lips together just staring at her food.

"Yeah." She said shortly. "I guess I just—" she swallowed hard. "Do you remember when I told you about Tyler?"

"The guy from St. Marys?"

"Well, he disappeared again last week. Right on the day we were supposed to meet." Jules said. "He just didn't ever answer again. He's gone."

"I didn't know you were still talking to him."

"He's been like on and off." She said. "But I really thought—" Jules looked down and Bee wrapped her arm around her shoulder. Her friend leaned her head against her shoulder. "I thought we had something special."

"Maybe he got scared. Maybe he's not who he says he is."

Jules shook her head. "That's impossible." She pulled away from her friend. "I mean his name, maybe, but not the things we talked about."

"But Jules, this is literally a person you've never met before, I mean—"

"I don't have to. I've gotten to know him, like, really well. Like, better than anyone else."

"Except he could be lying."

"Bee, anyone could be lying. Trust me. It's not in my head." Bee pressed her lips together, unconvinced. "I fell in love with him. And I just don't know what I'm gonna do if I never talk to him again."

"Does Rue know about this?"

Jules shook her head drying out her tears before they came out of her eyes. "No, because I can't pretend I'm okay and I can't tell her about this either. And—" Jules breathed out rubbing the sleeves of her sweater over her eyes. "I just , I feel, like, this weight. Like, this massive weight on my shoulders—Like, what if she got that kidney infection because I wasn't there? Like, what if she relapses, you know?"

Before Bee had a chance to answer Maddy and Cassie approached their table.

"What the fuck is going on with you?" Maddy asked as she took a seat in front of them. Cassie sat by her side as well.